Loading a 453 smartForTwo

Jack Mayer

For those that care, here is how I load my 453.    LINK  to video.

I drive on from the passenger side, and back off from the passenger side - at least typically. Sometimes I drive off forward from the drivers side, but mostly I back off.

We are working on a way to winch on, without extensive mods to the car, but frankly, I'll continue to drive it on unless the ramps are ice. You can see in the video the ramps are wet, but it does not make a difference.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Good job on the video Jack.  It's fun to see how you've grown in your comfort level around loading and unloading these cars over the years!

And yes, if one does their due diligence every application of loading, then problems are easily avoided.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• Jack Mayer changed the title to Loading a 453 smartForTwo

Saw your video on loading also the new deck design.  Your chocks are pretty much clones of mine except on mine, not only do I have a slot but it is wider to allow for twisting of the chock if or when the car doesn't go on completely straight.

eneS2Iul.jpg

eh9NYJRl.jpg

Also re drilled deck and added bigger plates to bottom of existing chocks to allow for longer car.  My deck isn't as wide as yours.

450 Tie downs would not work for me, 3 of them would be under the 453 and with both my wrists not bending more than 22 degrees were not able to reach around back of tire to hook on tire cage.  I went with adjustable tracks with 3 thru deck bolts with backing  washers.

R19yFCpl.jpg

Ygtiblyl.jpg

Now I have posting pics sorted out, they will come.

My car sits lower, especially breaking over the deck.  2 of my Rock Lights were torn loose.  The dirt end of the ramps need to be lifted up minimum of 2-3".

The car can be configured for a hitch, so it can be done and is plenty strong enough.

J1UjbF1l.jpg

I also got a license plate camera installed  so location of car on ramps when backing down can be observed from inside the car if I was so inclined.

We pitched the stock radio and put in Garmin GPS, hands free phone/ Sirius radio in its place.  Stock nav system was not recommended by the Smart people, there are better systems out there.

qa6IEiBl.jpg

Because my deck is narrower and the new car longer, the winch 'A' frame was in too close to the  side of the truck causing the pulley on the back bumper to clash with the top pulley on the 'A' frame.  The 'A' frame had to be 'stood off' another 5  inches which left less than 2 inches in the receiver which allowed the 'A' frame to tip up more putting the pulley even closer.  2 pcs of angle iron were tacked onto the ends of the tubing providing more stability.  The 'A' frame provides a security measure in case the car is loaded on the high side and wants to roll backwards to the low side.  Chocks will probably stop it but with enough speed and momentum possibly jump the chocks.  The 'A' frame will stop the car.

UDLK5nkl.jpg

O4ZZZNTl.jpg

Driving on or off the ramp....did  both  after your post some months ago.  This was before the ramps and chocks had been relocated. So, backing off? not too likely.  Backing on?  Not for me.  When I backed it up, the grass was wet, hence so became the tires and ramps.  You are right, I found out the throttle can't over ride the brake, but that was something I was just finding out at that moment.  So when backing up the ramp then applying foot brake then trying to release foot brake and getting on the throttle, the car rolls fwd, throttle catches it, spins the tires and you start going sideways.  There isn't much play on the ramps so ANY sideways motion is somewhat of a concern to say the least.

So to sum up, I will continue to winch up in reverse with a snatch block to cut loading speed in half also less 'jerky'. And drive off forwards.

Whatever I do or want to do, I try to look at it from every possible angle  to take as much of the Stupid or epic failure possibility out of it as I can.

Having said that, I will look at mounting a camera on the drivers mirror looking down at the front tire much like the Volvo has on the passengers mirror looking down at the rt side of the truck downward.  Someone else gets credit for that idea, we just copied it.  Unfortunately I can't post an image due to the B train hay truck taking out my passengers mirror.

It's about options and alternatives.  Owners can make their own decisions.

You cannot back UP the ramp. Well, MAYBE you can, but IMO that would not be something I would try.

Backing off is far easier in my opinion than driving forward....but whatever people feel comfortable with is what they should do.

My chocks have long slots, but the next batch the slots will be longer. And they are wider than the bolt so you can cock them, as you do with yours. It really makes getting then right up to the tires easy. Makes off-angle loads simple to tie down.

That hand looks like a mess....hope it is OK now!!! :(

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

It was backed up only once to position it for sorting out chock and ramp locations.  Won't happen again in this lifetime.

A down camera on the drivers mirror will help.  I'm looking into it now.

That was one hand, you should have seen the other and both at the same time. Randy is more prone to this type of thing than me.

These trucks, decks and trailer upgrades are an evolutionary process.  Nothing wrong with yours, it's about options.  They may save others money and grief. 

Backing down with a wide angle license plate camera with the tailgate open may show both ramps at the same time.  I'll try it the next couple of days..

I'll check out the cavernous area fwd of the drivers side fuel tank 50 odd inches long and about 24" deep.  There are possibilities there.

11 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I'll check out the cavernous area fwd of the drivers side fuel tank 50 odd inches long and about 24" deep.  There are possibilities there.

For sure you can put lots of storage there, if desired.   

In mine there is a battery-based APU in that location. Thus the positioning of the left fuel tank, and the layout of the compartment. 

What we did on my bed was to put on all the features (or most of them) that we will offer. Any or all of them can be deleted if not desired.  There are still some things to do to this body - for example I do not yet have the pull-out drawers in the "extra" ramp storage compartments. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

Roger - what ever part of your rig up that did that to your hand - torch it off the deck asap and fire it in the scrap bin... :o

Seriously though - hope you heal completely without troubles.... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

ew44sAIl.jpg

kKyJOCZl.jpg

gJ1YFqwl.jpg

jujKxxUl.jpg

s2Tb7bal.jpg

Yeah, lotsa fun with both wrists broken at the same time.  Messy bandage was from hospital.  Neat one was done by me....I think even Randy A would be impressed.

4 surgeries on the rt and 2 on the left.  It's as good as it's going to get.  Hence moving the tire tiedowns outside the wheels.  I can't bend my wrists around corners any more.

You learn to compensate.  I can still run/operate the rig and work tools ok.

Archived