Door didn't unlock

lappir

My daughter had an issue with my car, alternator apparently went out. She said at  brunch today that the battery light came on "yesterday". After brunch I looked under the hood and everything seemed OK had her start it and heard a definate slow down of the starter but it did start and ran. Told her to beat feet to my parking spot and don't dilly dally. Well, she made it 1/3 the  way there. Was a good girl and pulled off the road and stopped and then was able to coast almost into a parking lot of a school. 

Here's where the HDT comes up. Hit the key fob to unlock the truck to open the "Jockey Box" where my battery charger is and the door doesn't unlock. Use the key and unlock the door, open the box and the green light is on showing the battery is charged and the charger is operating. Put the key in the ignition to check the battery voltage and nothing happens. Well, maybe I have more problems than just a car with the need of a new alternator. Go get the battery out of the car and hook it to the charger. Suddenly the truck door unlocks. OK, there was a little charge in the battery and that's what unlocked the door. Put the key in and have 12.2 volts on the dash volt meter. That's where it usually sits when I have the charger on and the battery is charged. Any ideas what happened? Truck has been sitting since Halloween. I check the battery charger every few weeks and have turned on some lights occasionally but non have been left on. Fridge is off too. I will be leaving at the end of the month, but had no plans to start the truck until the first of the week before departure. I will take it to top off the fuel and bring everything up to operating temps  before hooking to the trailer. At least that's the plan. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Daughters and alternators................. I feel your pain.  Our youngest called me one late Sunday evening, on her way back to college after a weekend of having some school friends at the house.  Said her headlights were dim and the car had quit running.  I asked her how long the red light had been on....an hour or so.  Snagged an alternator and drove 1 1/2 hours to her location, installed alternator, fired it up and smoke spewed from the new alternator.  Piled 4 college girls in the back seat and drove back home.  Returned the next day with another alternator ( from a trusted supplier) and made the swap.

Raising kids is fun.

As for your truck, my guess is it's time to clean your battery terminals.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived