Weighty New Years Resolutions

Dollytrolley

Group,

Please take a look at the attached Example Weight and Balance for a sample HDT singled with a Smart Car and a 44 ft toy hauler hitched with a Harley REMOVED from the garage.

For calculation of average trailer wheel base all axle loads are combined on the center axle.

Not sure if the attached PDF will load.....

Drive on....(???)

HDT_WT_BAL_Sheet_Est_D_01032017.pdf

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group,

Please take a look at the attached Example Weight and Balance for a sample HDT singled with the Smart Car REMOVED from the HDT and a 44 ft toy hauler hitched with a Harley REMOVED from the garage.

For calculation of average trailer wheel base all axle loads are combined on the center axle.

Not sure if the attached PDF will load.....

Drive on....(???)

HDT_WT_BAL_Sheet_Est_E_01032017.pdf

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Group,

Please take a look at the attached Example Weight and Balance for a sample HDT singled with the Smart Car REMOVED from the HDT and a 44 ft toy hauler hitched with a Harley REMOVED from the garage AND now the Smart Car is parke in the far aft of the toy hauler garage.....HOWEVER our 24K toy hauler is now overloaded by almost 1200 lbs..........so ......we next will make some adjustments in the next calculations.

Drive on....(adjust loading)

HDT_WT_BAL_Sheet_Est_F_01032017.pdf

Group,

Please take a look at the attached Example Weight and Balance for a sample HDT singled with the Smart Car REMOVED from the HDT and a 44 ft toy hauler hitched with a Harley REMOVED from the garage AND now the Smart Car is parked in the far aft of the toy hauler garage.....HOWEVER our 24K toy hauler was overloaded by almost 1200 lbs..........so ......we will empty the gray and black water tanks and drain fresh water down to 90 lbs in the aux tank and down to 300 lbs in the fresh water main tank..........NOTE however that our pin weight has become much lighter as the forward water weight is removed and the weight of the far aft Smart decreases the gross back below 24K and the pin is now in the 18% range of gross....likely still enough but getting near the light side of desired pin weight range......

Drive on....(adjust loading back under Gross trailer weight.....)

HDT_WT_BAL_Sheet_Est_G_01032017.pdf

Now that I have posted a few numbers I will look into making a few graphics to hopefully give some additional understanding to the subject.....

Drive on.......(bed time for geezers....)

Now that I have posted a few numbers I will look into making a few graphics to hopefully give some additional understanding to the subject.....

Drive on.......(bed time for geezers....)

UPDATE: I have been wrestling with some graphics to help ex plane the various configurations listed here.......so far it has not been a pretty picture to get the post editor to accept my graphics......

The next subject that might be helpful might be some "what-if-we-move-the-hitch", or..."what-if-we-move-the-drive-axle"......might be better to start a new thread to keep the confusion level at its present state ........mean while I'll grapple with the graphic example posting headaches.....

Drive on........( got graphics......just don't post well here)

Most of us didn't have to rely on being lucky in trying to figure out how to set up out trucks for towing purposes. In 2008, there was a great presentation from Mark Shelly done at the National Rally, in Hutch, explaining what we were doing and why.

You can view his Power Point file, and the PDF file by clicking here and scroll about a third of the way down looking for the 2 sections called, "How to build your own bed".

This will give you a great look at what is being discussed. Unfortunately, there is no audio on the Power Point presentation, but it is very informative.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Most of us didn't have to rely on being lucky in trying to figure out how to set up out trucks for towing purposes. In 2008, there was a great presentation from Mark Shelly done at the National Rally, in Hutch, explaining what we were doing and why.

You can view his Power Point file, and the PDF file by clicking here and scroll about a third of the way down looking for the 2 sections called, "How to build your own bed".

This will give you a great look at what is being discussed. Unfortunately, there is no audio on the Power Point presentation, but it is very informative.

Indeed Hero you bring up some good points.

My comments are contained in my thread posted this morning titled.......What If..........

Drive on.......(What's your Balance....today)

I think a lot of us get lucky on the weight and balance because when we went the HDT route, our margin of safety became huge. Especially for those who are still tandem, we can never exceed the design limits on the truck.

Call it dumb luck. B)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I think a lot of us get lucky on the weight and balance because when we went the HDT route, our margin of safety became huge. Especially for those who are still tandem, we can never exceed the design limits on the truck.

Call it dumb luck. B)

Rickoooo what a HDT sage you are.....

Tandem does make "load-abuse" more fun but we pay a price somewhat in ride quality or.....lack of ride quality.....

With the Twenty foot cargo box on the Freightshaker I try to balance two load masses at each end of the cargo box......this is a rather odd loading but it tends to act as a long arm loading beam to better "load" the tandems.....if I load the major mass to the front of the cargo box the ride is noticeably harsher than with the more balanced loading......now IF you were to place a large mass at the aft end of the cargo box you could possibly introduce a unpleasant swerve dynamic but my loads are well below that threshold....

Drive on......(enjoy the ride)

Yes, I learned a lot about loading when I left my fifth wheel all the way back on the Mack. Switched trailers (One needs the hitch full rearward), and hooked up to the longer hopper trailer. Trying to turn on a wet road, loaded to 80k gross, pin over rear driver, make for very poor steering. :o I was actually pulling into an elevator, so I weighed the front axle. Oops, only about 6k#. Not so good.

Trucks are soooo much more forgiving than airplanes. Or even motorcycles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yes, I learned a lot about loading when I left my fifth wheel all the way back on the Mack. Switched trailers (One needs the hitch full rearward), and hooked up to the longer hopper trailer. Trying to turn on a wet road, loaded to 80k gross, pin over rear driver, make for very poor steering. :o I was actually pulling into an elevator, so I weighed the front axle. Oops, only about 6k#. Not so good.

Trucks are soooo much more forgiving than airplanes. Or even motorcycles.

Trucks are pretty forgiving and have impressive margins designed in.....the not so fun times start once we bummble past the "edge" of the margins.....

When the old KW tipped over in the ditch and pitched me out the windshield ......the first thought in my feeble mind was.....how can something so big and heavy and slooow ....pitch me out the windshield so ....fast??

Drive on.......(dont fall off the .....margin)

Archived