Roof snow load

runaway parents

This question kind of reminds me of riding in a small dual prop aircraft.. having one engine go out.. then asking the pilot, "how far can we go with only one engine??"

- All the way to the scene of the crash.

It's never a great idea to let snow accumulate on an RV. Not only the additional weight on your tires and suspension, but it can wreak havoc on roof top appliances and fixtures.

By fuzzy math.. 1 cubic foot of snow can weight anywhere from 7lb's of the powdered stuff to your more "typical/average" snow more in the 15lb range to your compacted/wet snow that can be 20lb or more per.

So.. a 35' x 8' rig with 6" of snow up top is going to be adding roughly 1000-3000+lb's of weight to your roof. 12 inches? You can do the math... :lol:

Be interesting to know.

It would. But kind of a moot point when it comes to blanketed snow accumulation. Like many times in the RV world.. one rated capacity is often undermined by another elements rating. In the case of snow.. that's likely to be the GVWR... or CCC if you prefer. Ie., if you start with 4000lb's of cargo capacity.. load up and still have 1000lbs of reserve capacity you're in great shape! However, it doesn't matter if you're roof is capable of supporting 5000lbs of snow if only 1000lbs is going to push you over your GVWR and potentially cause catastrophic damage to your frame, suspension, or pop your tires. KWIM? ;)

In that respect... it's probably not a spec mfg's "design" to or measure outside of "structurally sufficient" or "irrelevant". LOL

This question kind of reminds me of riding in a small dual prop aircraft.. having one engine go out.. then asking the pilot, "how far can we go with only one engine??"

- All the way to the scene of the crash.

It's never a great idea to let snow accumulate on an RV. Not only the additional weight on your tires and suspension, but it can wreak havoc on roof top appliances and fixtures.

By fuzzy math.. 1 cubic foot of snow can weight anywhere from 7lb's of the powdered stuff to your more "typical/average" snow more in the 15lb range to your compacted/wet snow that can be 20lb or more per.

So.. a 35' x 8' rig with 6" of snow up top is going to be adding roughly 1000-3000+lb's of weight to your roof. 12 inches? You can do the math... :lol:

In the late 80'$ & 90's we owned a place out in the forest on the McKenzie Highway West of Sisters Oregon right where the big ODOT Oshkosh snow blowers gave up and turned around....

We had a old log barn on the property that had 18 inch diameter fir rafters on four foot centers and purlins across the rafters made out of Railroad ties....pretty stout roof....I thought....

Most winters standing snow hovered between 5 to 6 feet of snow but the winter of 92 it snowed, and snowed, and, and, so....

For the tin roof of the barn shed the snow fairly well Until the snow that slid off the Eve's piled up around the barn to the eve height and then the snow had no place to slide and just started piling up deep on the roof..... one evening it snowed Four feet and when I tunneled out of the house to the barn I noticed that some of the Eighteen inch diameter log rafters had started to bow noticeably under the way too many tons of fairly fluffy powder snow...just imagine if the snow was wet snow....time to call out the big dog...we had a old Cat 988 loader with a Five yard bucket so I gently started clearing snow from the barn and piling the snow out in the West pasture .....as the "snow pile" grew bigger and bigger the pasture seemed to get smaller so....just make a ramp up the side of the pile and make the snow pile higher and higher...

Once the snow was cleared around the barn I used a large Honda powered hot air balloon inflator fan to blow much of the powder snow of the barn roof... then i had to use the 988 to clear around the barn again....as my huge pile of snow grew out in the pasture the ramp became compacted by the too many tons of the chained up 988 and the ramp turned into ice....the huge ice ramp lasted until the end of July and folks would stop and photograph the stunning blue iceberg in our pasture...

After we cleared the barn roof I said Enough and I hitched a ride to Kona for a week and when we came back....barn roof was piled six foot deep in snow .. again..

The odd thing is that several RVs survived the hellish snows and I do not recall any RV roofs failing...

Drive on....(can you find your Cat 988 in the snow drift)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived