Belts

SuiteSuccess

Can the belts on a Volvo D12 be changed without removing the fan blade and/or radiator?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Older D12 but have to pull fan off to change belt. Not long enough to get over blades.

Not too bad though. Blind job but doable. Nothing else disturbed.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Can the belts on a Volvo D12 be changed without removing the fan blade and/or radiator?

Serpentine belt on alternator and A/C compressor can be changed in minutes by putting a 1/2" drive ratchet head square (no socket) in the square hole in the idler and pulling on the handle of the ratchet. Belt then easily slips off. Be sure to check bearings in idler on the spring arm when you change this belt.

The main belt that goes to the fan is suppose to come off without removing the fan - or so the parts guy at Volvo tells me. I haven't tried it yet as mine is still in good shape with no cracks. I am also interested to know if anyone has done this with the fan on.

You must be doing lots and lots of winter maintenance based on frequent questions. I was working on mine until Sunday when the cold front came through. I'm an upper 60's and lower 70's man so my truck projects are sitting since I do not have a garage door I can get it in. So, been working on the boat. New axle, springs, hubs and tires on the trailer. OB motor got a new set of plugs, rebuild of all three carburetors, rebuild on fuel pump and new fuel tines. Sorry, that isn't what you asked.... just got upgrade and fix-it jobs on my mind. Thirt-five days until we head for sunny Florida to spend the winter.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Older D12 but have to pull fan off to change belt. Not long enough to get over blades.

Not too bad though. Blind job but doable. Nothing else disturbed.

Thanks Bill

Serpentine belt on alternator and A/C compressor can be changed in minutes by putting a 1/2" drive ratchet head square (no socket) in the square hole in the idler and pulling on the handle of the ratchet. Belt then easily slips off. Be sure to check bearings in idler on the spring arm when you change this belt.

The main belt that goes to the fan is suppose to come off without removing the fan - or so the parts guy at Volvo tells me. I haven't tried it yet as mine is still in good shape with no cracks. I am also interested to know if anyone has done this with the fan on.

You must be doing lots and lots of winter maintenance based on frequent questions. I was working on mine until Sunday when the cold front came through. I'm an upper 60's and lower 70's man so my truck projects are sitting since I do not have a garage door I can get it in. So, been working on the boat. New axle, springs, hubs and tires on the trailer. OB motor got a new set of plugs, rebuild of all three carburetors, rebuild on fuel pump and new fuel tines. Sorry, that isn't what you asked.... just got upgrade and fix-it jobs on my mind. Thirt-five days until we head for sunny Florida to spend the winter.

Yes, Randy, I get bored without a project and the truck is always a good project.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,

There is usually a dimple in the shroud where you can slip the belt over the fan blades, one at a time as you rotate the fan. It can be a bit of a puzzle. I've yet to find one where I had to remove the fan or shroud.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived