Propane leak testing

Greetings everyone!

I have seen it mentioned before that a leak test should be done anytime there is an "interruption" in the propane system. The way I have seen it put is that the whole system needs to be leak checked after doing work anywhere in the system.

I am going to replace a gas bottle supply pigtail, and other than checking for leaks at the fitting, why would I need to check the whole system after I finish?

Or am I just reading this all wrong?

Thanks.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Greetings everyone!

I have seen it mentioned before that a leak test should be done anytime there is an "interruption" in the propane system. The way I have seen it put is that the whole system needs to be leak checked after doing work anywhere in the system.

I am going to replace a gas bottle supply pigtail, and other than checking for leaks at the fitting, why would I need to check the whole system after I finish?

Or am I just reading this all wrong?

Thanks.

Just check the part or section that was changed or compromised. No need to test entire system. The only testing we do is to listen very carefully when we reattach the tank to the rig. We did some work on HWH and did do a water test. But won't have to do that again unless we notice some problem. Good luck. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

The way you would test the entire system is to install a pressure gage, allow gas to enter the entire system and then shut off the propane tank supply. The pressure gage needs to hold pressure more than 5 minutes. If you are working on the system your self, just check any connections with a soapy water solution. If a service repairman is to work on or charge a empty residential system, Texas law requires the entire system be checked for leaks.

Greg

Even if an entire system test may not be absolutely necessary it wouldn't hurt to perform one to be on the safe side. Of course the most important thing is to check any NEW fittings and appliances including a leak down pressure check. In addition, I recently went to Ace Hardware and bought a small spray bottle of gas leak detector which can detect leaks, simple cheap n easy in addition to a total leak down if required.

John T Live from the Florida Flywheelers Antique Tractor Show

Archived