Apple has been outsmarted by Microsoft

RV_

According to Adrian Kingsley-Hughes,

Excerpt:

"Both Apple and Microsoft have unveiled what is probably the final new hardware offering of 2016 for each company, and an initial assessment suggests that Apple may be in second place.

Last week was a big week for those of us who keep track of hardware. Microsoft unveiled an updated Surface Book and a completely new product called the Surface Studio, while Apple finally pushed out a much-needed update to its MacBook Pro lineup.

While diehard fans will no doubt only need to look at the logo that's emblazoned on the hardware to decide which is the best, I've spent a few days examining the specs and videos of the launch events to look for hints and clues as to what the thinking was that led to each company coming out with the devices they did.

And the more I connect the dots, the more I feel that Apple has been outsmarted and outmaneuvered by Microsoft.

Let's take a look at the differences between what Apple and Microsoft have offered up.

First, let's look at Apple's new MacBook Pro laptops. While it seems that Apple has worked hard on redesigning the MacBook Pro's chassis, shaving off a significant amount of weight and thickness, as well as sourcing some high-end components to power the device, the two main changes that Apple has brought to the MacBook Pro are:

•Consolidating a jumble of ports to a single set of ports

•The Touch Bar

If you're a current MacBook Pro owner, then it won't have escaped you that you have a myriad of different ports at your disposal, ranging from Thunderbolt and USB to HDMI and even an SD card slot. Once you upgrade you're looking at having to hook up any peripherals you rely on to one of the four USB-C ports on offer (three really, because you'll need to keep the fourth available to power the new MacBook Pro).

Now if everything you own will hook up to a USB-C port, or you never connect anything to your MacBook Pro, then this is not going to be a worry to you. But if you do connect to stuff -- USB flash drives, backup storage, scanners, displays, ethernet, and so on -- then you're going to have to rely on dongles -- lots of dongles -- or spend money on upgrading your hardware ecosystem.

Many believe the problem with dongles is the price, but when you're spending upwards of $1,500 on new hardware, a few bucks on dongles is neither here nor there. The problem comes down to having to transport the dongle around with the laptop, and the hassles and potential hit to productivity when you invariably forget it.

What's interesting here is that the people who are going to be the hardest hit by this move are pros, and yet this is who the MacBook Pro is seemingly aimed at. The more you've invested in your Mac's ecosystem, the harder, more expensive, and more disruptive the upgrade becomes.

Another thing to bear in mind is that USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 aren't the tidy "universal" ports that the naming suggests. There's a strong chance that not all your existing hardware -- even if it claims USB-C compatibility -- will be compatible. Stephen Foskett has written up a handy guide outlining some of the problems you might run into.

And if you do run into problems after buying a new MacBook Pro, then spending more money is the only way to dig yourself out of the hole you've jumped into.

As for the Touch Bar, I'm still torn between this being something truly innovative, and some lame stop-gap before Apple makes a touchscreen MacBook Pro. While I can see some interesting possibilities for the Touch Bar, some things bother me:

•I'm not sure why peering at a tiny touchscreen is better than looking at the main screen.

•If you watched the launch keynote you'd have noticed that everyone using the Touch Bar was standing. Right now I'm sitting at my desk with my old MacBook Pro in front of me, and I'm not sure that the Touch Bar would be all that useful because of its placement.

•The Touch Bar demos during the keynote all seemed clumsy to me. Now this could be because of performance anxiety during the event, but it really seemed to me that all the demos could have been better carried out using the existing screen, keyboard, and trackpad.

It's also important to bear in mind that while the Touch Bar might be new, the idea has its roots in things such as the Art Lebedev keyboards and technologies such as Windows Vista's SideShow.

Despite the price (and the name), the MacBook Pro doesn't feel like it was created with professionals in mind. Gimmicks such as the Touch Bar, along with omissions such as the lack of a high-end 32GB RAM option, make this feel more like an overpriced laptop that kids heading off to college will optimistically ask for.

It feels like Apple's almost decade-long focus on making the iPhone a mainstream device has rubbed off on its other hardware.

Let's now come to what Microsoft had to offer us at its event. We got:

•A solid upgrade to the Surface Book

•A PC aimed squarely at design professionals

What is particularly stand out about the Surface Studio is that Microsoft designed a system that's clearly aimed at creative folks who have deep pockets -- how else could you describe a $3,000+ 28-inch touchscreen system with an adjustable "Zero Gravity" hinge that comes kitted with a pen and the new Surface Dial? -- yet thanks to its four USB 3.0 ports, SD card reader, and mini DisplayPort, it should be able to slip seamlessly onto any designer's desk without any real peripheral headache.

Microsoft has designed a high-end desktop PC for professionals who already use a PC. And you can bring a Surface Studio into the fold without having to upgrade everything else on your desk.

So, why do I think that Microsoft has outsmarted and outmaneuvered Apple? Because while there's no doubt that Apple knows how to innovate, it feels like the company has lost sight of professionals.

The mantra of "thinner, lighter, and fewer ports" fits in with what we've come to expect from Apple, but these are rarely features I hear being requested by professionals. Equally, while the Touch Bar is certainly innovative, and gives Apple a new feature to promote on its website and on the box, it's again not what pros are asking for.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has with the Surface Studio taken the PC and tweaked the form factor a little to make it more useful, and then crammed it with high-end hardware aimed at creative types. In fact, many design pros I know will now be able to replace their expensive pen displays -- a 27-inch Cintiq pen display is $2,299, and you still need a computer to drive it -- with a 28-inch Surface Studio, without upgrading every other piece of hardware or peripheral they have.

Microsoft has resisted the temptation to build a "one-size-fits-all-PC" and has come out with a focused product suited to creative professionals.

Which, oddly enough, is where Apple was a few years ago. Microsoft's interest in developing high-end PCs now puts considerable pressure on Apple, especially given how old and stale Apple's desktop computer lineup is.

Interesting times are ahead"

The full article with lots of related links and stories is here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-has-been-outsmarted-by-microsoft/?loc=newsletter_small_thumb&ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

What do you think?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Ok, I have on my cloak of invincibility so I'll go first. Since I have retired two months ago, I no longer think about MicroSoft. I just use my MacBook and iPad and just cruise along.

No more need for the latest and greatest.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

Ok, I have on my cloak of invincibility so I'll go first. Since I have retired two months ago, I no longer think about MicroSoft. I just use my MacBook and iPad and just cruise along.

No more need for the latest and greatest.

While I'm not a fanboy in either camp, I find your post amusing.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Hey Aggie,

Did you look at the new Studio? While I prefer Windows there is nothing wrong with preferring Apple's products. This one is about the hardware and software.

Microsoft made no hardware other than game consoles and some accessories until recently. They supplied the OS but did not sell their own computers until the Surface Tablet RT, that was a phenomenal failure and was dropped in favor the new Surface 3 running the same OS as on laptops and desktops.

This was about their first desktop ever! Following their first tablets and then the laptop hybrid that is also a tablet when you disconnect the screen. All really firsts for Microsoft.

Read the article, it is informative. Here is another from the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/10/31/how-apple-lost-last-week-to-microsoft/?wpisrc=nl_tech&wpmm=1#comments

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

While it's true that Microsoft is trying to cut into the professional area, I'm personally tired of Microsoft software updates that often conflict with hardware or change settings. Maybe I'm getting older and want a simpler interface, but I've recently transitioned to Apple (iMac) and I like it.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

RV,

Read the article and many of the comments. Also, looked at the Studio on MicroSoft's website. Has potential for success. Shows MicroSoft has come a long way. I still have one PC laptop running Windows 10. Not a fan of Windows 10. The $2,999 starting price of the Studio is a drawback for me. Would not pay that for a Mac either now that I'm retired. Good that MicroSoft has woken up. Competition is good for MicroSoft and Apple. It will keep them moving forward.

When my MacBook Pro Retina finally dies, I may move totally to the iPad Pro or what is the best choice for me at the time. My computing needs changed after August 31st (retirement date).

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

Hey Derek,

How is life with the iPhone?? Gonna buy an iPad soon??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

I returned the two free iPhone 6's because of music and other media issues. I don't like itunes and other Apple programs when written for Windows. I found I don't like it when written for Apple. No Micro SD card slot was known beforehand so I ordered the 64 GB version. NO way am I changing all my mp3 formats to the Apple. I don't buy music online either. I buy music CDs and BluRay movies at Goodwill and Pawn shops for from 50 cents to $1.50 for Blu Rays at Goodwill on sale, and $1.99 at my favorite pawn shop who will take returns and exchanges within 30 days. Then I rip the CDs I now own to my desktop.

Aggie,I am not a fan boy just a Windows ecosphere user as you are an Apple ecosphere user and Jack is swings both ways, Android and Windows.

I was wondering what everyone, not just Apple aficionados, thought of the first year where all of the tech writers and reviewers of all manufacturer

s devices, are stunned by Microsoft's first year of making its own devices like Apple does. While Google has released Tango, it next gen OS that utilizes three cameras and 3d actual data to be able to run 3d self made and apps where it is applicable. Google thinks it is the successor to Android. http://www.zdnet.com/article/first-google-tango-phone-out-now-but-will-buyers-take-to-lenovos-phab-2-pro/?ftag=TRE49e8aa0&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

Usually Apple unveils innovations and new products every year at their event. Usually Microsoft events centered around the OS and the phones once as new moves. This year the roles were reversed.

I have what was nearly the same price and is the same form factor as the Studio. The Dell XPS 2720. The newest version of it lacks the Thunderbolt input, but has all six USB 3 ports, and the HDMI in as well as out. Mine is an i7 quad core and has a 32GB SSD in front of a 2 TB hard drive. The only options mine did not have was the Blu Ray instead of the DVD multi burner.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-27-2720-aio?ST=%2Bxps%20%2B2720&dgc=ST&cid=298019&lid=5696031&acd=123098073120600&ven1=3kfcOdo0&ven2=b&ven3=270803599378503760

The differences between mine and the Studio are numerous not the least of which is the new Tech (Dial/thinness/AC radios and improvements in the resolutions that I thought would be too difficult.

It is also $1000.00 cheaper, but with the Thunderbolt and the 10 point Quad HD, as well as the fast Intel quad core 3.1 GHz i7 4770S Haswell processor would likely cost close to what this one did new, it and the Microsoft Surface Studio.

I love the new system but already have one, albeit old tech, and still under extended warranty until 2018. Mine is more like the Mac 27" desktop in that it is thinner from the side, thicker in the middle. But with touch and Windows 10 I can make do without the Dial.

My point in asking all, not just a defensive response from the Apple folks, (not smug here) but an objective comparison of the surprise lack of big announcements in Apple's event, and major news from Microsoft's.

Mine would be that I have only seen the annual Microsoft event surprise equaled in October 2012 when they announced the Surface RT tablets, and Windows 8.

However I am astounded that they got the high end right on their first try, as I have from two years ago. Two years ago there were no 27 touch all in ones that could touch the touch Dell 2720.

I don't think anyone can deny the design elegance and the innovations all over, and on it. I can't order the Dial as it is only compatible with the Surface Pro 4 tablet and I have the ancient Surface Pro 3 tablet. I checked and the Surface Dial is $99.99. And only compatible with:

"Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, Surface Studio
Operating System: Windows 10 Anniversary Update"

I only have the ancient Surface Pro 3 (i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM) with the Pro 4 typecover. That is ancient in tech terms. It debuted in June 2014, ~ 2.5 years ago.

Like everyone else, my needs and uses have changed. I could make do with what I have for ten years in the best case scenario. Dell allows extending the warranty 2 years at a time for about $200.00. I don't know if they have a year limit on renewing like ten years or whatever. That's cheap insurance with free shipping both ways any way you look at it.

I am not buying one because I bought high end last time with all machines for at least 5 years on my main desktop. My laptops and tablets were usually swapped out from 2-3 years. My current tablets are two years old and one year old for my Surface Pro 3.

Having said all that, were I an artist, or still doing engineering drawings and music, and were ready to upgrade I would jump at them.

If only Nadella would form a smaller phone division using 10 Mobile and converge it slowly into the Surface division once it succeeded, he would have a completely competitive company. They have 10 mobile now but my feeling is that the Surface division is uncomfortable working outside of x86 base and that is what is killing the Windows phone.

Apple needs to start realizing the iPod is dead and start putting micro SD card slots on their phones. And along with that a direct drag and drop app for Windows and Apple computer file copying. Heaven forbid I should have copies of my bought and paid for property, the mp3s I ripped from my ~ 3000 CDs, which I still have in CD storage book/cases, on all of my bought and paid for devices! No, I don't do copies, or give them to others. They can listen here though. I think I have five recordable CD blanks left. Other than 128GB Micro SD cards for data and music on my tablets and Phones, no one uses physical media anymore. I am about to do my vinyl albums with a player digitizer I just got. Battery operated too so I can take it with me to estate sales to check out the playability of 33, 45, and 78 rpm analog media.

So what do others of any OS think about the style and design, features, and brand new innovations in the style?

No one is asking anyone to switch to Windows. I loved the 27" Mac AIOs from the start. That is what I thought my slightly thicker 2720 looked like. Liking the style and form engineering did not mean I was switching to OSX. I can admire a Ferrari or 911 even though I would never buy one. I'm too slow and they are too low.

Anyway, there it is to check out in the link.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the new MacBook Pros are selling pretty good. Have any of the Apple users here tried one yet and if so how do you like the Touch Bar? Excerpt below - full article here:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4022180-apples-new-macbook-pro-killing-competition?ifp=0

---ron

A Little Microsoft Inspiration

In an interview, Apple's Phil Schiller claimed that the new MacBook Pros have outsold every previous Pro model on Apple's online store. The Pros with Touch Bar are still on back order on the Apple Online Store, with shipping delays of 4-5 weeks. Of course, it can always be argued that this only indicates lack of supply/demand balance, and not the magnitude of sales.

However, this chart from Slice Intelligence neatly sums up where MacBook Pro stands in terms of sales relative to major notebook PC competitors, including those from Asus (OTC:ASUUY), Dell, and Lenovo (OTCPK:LNVGY).

6965821-14788042800777879.png

In just its first five days of sales, revenue already is about 3.7 times total cumulative revenue of the Surface Book, and about 10 times the revenue for the other models listed. It's a very impressive achievement, and much of the credit for this must go to Apple's OLED Touch Bar since this is the key innovation that sets the MacBook Pros apart from the competition and from previous Pro generations.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

<_< Hmm! Did I mess up!! No, just old school and don't spend thousands on the latest and greatest, unless forced to!! :unsure: I purchased a used MacBook Air, a 2009 model and upgraded the operating system, it sure did it quicker than Microsoft!! :) Don't know if i will :wub: it! Right now I'm in the TRY IT I MIGHT LIKE IT mode! :D

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Guys this is a market article going forward and was talking about how MS outdid their usual hardware makers and designed their own sculptured and class designed hardware a la Apple and their silvered sleed designs.

It wasn't snark nor windows over Apple.

Read the article. It was about the new revealed technology. No one was suggesting anyone run out and buy new.

I'm not buying new today either.

It is about showing how Apple's designer cases and innovative use of incremental tech improvements has influenced Microsoft to do better. THese are the first major systems where MS is designing and building their own hardware.

I posted this as a FYI article on the surprisingly good job they did on style, design , and specs. I have always admired the style of Apple products and their solid build quality that existed in the Windows world but was rare and hit or miss.

I like the fact that there are great machines in the world coming out whether I buy them or not. I love looking at Apple and others in the BX every time I shop.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Pieere,

Check with Kirk, he recently switched to Apple after bad mouthing Windows for a year or more. He may have some tips for you. ;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived