Truck Refrigerator

SuiteSuccess

Had a 33" dorm frig in my Volvo which died. 110 v and fairly new, running off of my 1800 watt inverter while driving (only appliance on inverter) and shore power when parked. Didn't take some early advice and install any cooling fans and think that may be a contributer to the early demise. Have two computer 12 volt fans I am looking to install and would like to connect to a thermostat so would only run when needed. Any suggestions on 1. How to configure the fans? 2. What temp for thermostat to engage fans?

3. Where to get thermostat?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I know they cost more, but this outfit sells high quality 12V compressor refrigerators specifically for the truck market. I bought the one that is in the Argosy from him at the Louisville truckshow in 2001, an Indel made in Italy. Just last year I had to replace the door which he had in stock. 16 years is pretty good for the abuse I give it. I don't shut it down unless I am going to be out of the truck for more than 48 hours. No worries about inverters etc.

Here is the website: http://www.truckfridge.com/store/index.html He is in Georgetown KY.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I know they cost more, but this outfit sells high quality 12V compressor refrigerators specifically for the truck market. I bought the one that is in the Argosy from him at the Louisville truckshow in 2001, an Indel made in Italy. Just last year I had to replace the door which he had in stock. 16 years is pretty good for the abuse I give it. I don't shut it down unless I am going to be out of the truck for more than 48 hours. No worries about inverters etc.

Here is the website: http://www.truckfridge.com/store/index.html He is in Georgetown KY.

Good info!

I have the TF36 from them. It was the only fridge I could find to fit under the bed. I used to leave mine on all the time when I was working as well. Its been flawless for the last four years.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Some of us will be camping just a few miles from Georgetown, KY next week. We may have to pay him a visit.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Had a 33" dorm frig in my Volvo which died. 110 v and fairly new, running off of my 1800 watt inverter while driving (only appliance on inverter) and shore power when parked. Didn't take some early advice and install any cooling fans and think that may be a contributer to the early demise. Have two computer 12 volt fans I am looking to install and would like to connect to a thermostat so would only run when needed. Any suggestions on 1. How to configure the fans? 2. What temp for thermostat to engage fans?

3. Where to get thermostat?

You need a thermostat that closes at about 140F for surface contact mounting or 90F in open air. A thermostat unit like this (from Amazon) should work nicely.

You are probably going to want to run your two 12V fans from a small (1 amp) 12VDC power adapter plugged into the refrigerator's 120V outlet. If not, they could pull down your batteries when not on shore power or alternator.

The fans will only help if you can pull cooler air in to the compressor/condenser area and then vent the heated air away/outside. On dorm refrigerators the condenser is often not exposed and uses the metal backside and cabinet as a heat sink to dissipate heat, thus just keeping cooler air circulating in and out behind the fridge is often enough.

Keep in mind dorm refrigerators were not designed to to be operated in environments over 85F - running inside a closed truck sitting in the hot sun during the summer is a sure death. Empty it and turn it off until you are ready to travel when it is hot outside.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Jeff,

Did you have to fan vent this frig or does it stand up to the heat like Randy mentioned?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

No additional venting/fans required. Installation instructions will tell you minimum clearances. The fellow who answers the phone has been at it for a long time, can answer any questions. These things have circuits built in to shut the unit down if something might damage it, like 120 deg + cab temps parked in hot sun etc.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived