Slide Out Seals

SWharton

I always walk around and pull out the seals while the wife is extending the slides. If you leave the seals turned in for a extended period while parked, they will retain a memory and crease line. I use HD silicone spray at the beginning of any extended moving periods between locations. Our unit is 8 years old and the seals seem fine.

Greg

If there's any oil like substance on the surface , talc might just absorb enough .

I've read that a lot of manufacturers recommend to simply keep the slides and seals clean with soap and water .

I've tried a couple different things and find that clean with no 'help' seems to work best . Our seals are at least 16 years old .

I do have to 'pull' seals . Like you only certain areas seem to need it and then not every time .

I use our awning strap hook to pull seals . Insert the hook end under the seal , find the right angle and push or pull as required . Cuts way down on aggravations . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

They are not really seals but instead are wiper/squeegees intended to wipe the slides off when they are brought in.

The actual seals are a bulb type - the outside ones seal when the slide is in and the inside ones seal when the slide is out.

Winnebago said it doesn't really matter if the wipers are flipped or not.

Lived in my motor home for 11 years, paid no attention to how the wipers were oriented and had zero problems.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

We had the same problem with the slide seals on our 5th wheel. Seemed they never flipped out. We have the double bulb seals so everything was weather tight but it bugged me to see them reversed. I went to Lowe's and bought 3M step grip tape. Comes in a roll of various widths and lengths. Brought the slides in so I could access the side walls behind the seals and installed a strip top to bottom on the exterior of each slide. I cleaned the slide walls with alcohol so the tape would stick. The seals now flip in and out when the slides are actuated. This has worked for us going on 8 years.

Brad

Archived