First trip towing with a HDT

Heavymetal

We just returned home to Texas after our first trip using a HDT and I will never use a pickup again.

We purchased a 2010 Freightliner in July and set it up for a trip this summer as a trial to see if we like towing with a HDT and we had the best trip ever, at least the towing part. We did a little over 7,200 miles on flat roads I20 and 95 and through VA and TN on 81 and 40 so we had could see how it did on grades and I think this is the first time I was fresh and relaxed at the end of a day towing. The stress level is 0 using a class8 truck. We returned home on Saturday and I ordered a new 2018 Western Star 5700 Monday and I am as excited as a teen age girl going to prom to get the new truck.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Yep

hard to explain to the LGT guys and gals. but you hit all my pluses exactly.

Did you happen to notice how nice it is sitting in the shade inside?

Big difference from the greenhouse of a laid back pick up windshield.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Yep

hard to explain to the LGT guys and gals. but you hit all my pluses exactly.

Did you happen to notice how nice it is sitting in the shade inside?

Big difference from the greenhouse of a laid back pick up windshield.

I found most everything a plus over the LT except the crowds. Everyone had questions and wanted to look at the truck and the NH. I did find that backing into a tight RV site to be much easier with the HDT, with a small turn of steering wheel you get a great return on your RV plus you can jack knife the thing into a narrow spot.

2 Great Danes

I just spent an hour watching the 5700 promo videos... that is one nice truck for sure! I can see why you would be excited... :P

I think the thing that sold me is the new DT 12 transmission with the adaptive cruise control. They have some great videos on it. The truck has terrain maps loaded and watches the road in front of you it anticipates the road and will auto coast on down grades. The RPMs drop to idle plus it has a kick down for a passing gear and will skip shift up to three gears. One other thing is the jake is connected to the cruise and you can set it to kick in when your speed exceeds three/five or ten MPH over your set speed. The truck also has a creep mode for traffic and backing you just tap the accelerator and it creeps along.

2 Great Danes

Archived