Door Post Tags

SuiteSuccess

Three of us comparing trucks today. Two are singled and mine is tandem. Noticed that all trucks had two door post tags giving rear axle weights on the bottom tag of 20,000 lbs., but on the upper tag all three of ours gives rear axle weights of 19,000 lbs. Maybe this has been discussed, but my memory not so good. Why the difference? Cannot get pics to upload.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'd be surprised to find a door tag relating to a consumable. But I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn recently.......

Could one be referencing axles and the other rim width?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

One of the singled trucks is running 24 inch H rated tires. Mine and one other 22.5 G rated so don't think it is tire related but might be wrong. Wish I could get pics to upload but can't.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

What this likely means is that the final build included some lesser axle assembly component that became the limiting factor of the GAWR.

The axle itself (a single part) is a 20K axle (lower tag with a part number) but it is only one of the components/parts that makes up the axle assembly (axle, brakes, tires, spindles, hubs, studs, etc) which is what the GAWR is based on. Each of these components has a rating and one of these reducing the rating to 19,000 lbs.

The upper tag is the Federal certification label from the final build.

e.g. Recently there was a post about calculating GVWR for singled vehicles where Scrap took a small detour and mentioned that different truck builds could have smaller spec'd components (brake shoes) which affect GAWR or GVWR. This is an instance where this is taking place. Carl, I think I recall that you gave the proper answer for the OP on that thread.

Additional interesting information...

This can more clearly be seen on some newer medium duty trucks (Freightliner) by looking on the passengers door jamb where there is often a component breakdown sticker for the axle assemblies. The rating for each component of the axle assembly is on this sticker.

The final licensed or certified upfitter of the vehicle determines the ratings that are posted on the federal certification label. So, they can make modifications that can adjust any of these ratings.

In this case, it is not likely that the tires are the limiting factor for rear axles. Tires are occasionally the limiting factor for the rear GAWR on pickup trucks.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

So if you have a 12.5K front axle and are running load range "G" tires rated at 6175 lbs then your tires would be a limiting factor...right?

I wonder how many HDT's are running this way.

Just thinking out loud......

Point taken. You would be limited by the tire.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

As MrSeas states it well. Very frequently it happens on vehicles that Gross Axle Weight Ratings are limited by the tires.

There are federal safety codes that specify the significance of tire capacity ratings as they relate to the GAWR of vehicles.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Archived