Cell Phone Plan Advice

usnlt

Currently I have Samsung Galaxy S6 on a 2 gig loyalty plan, still under contract. I also have an old Sprint plan w/flip phones and a mifi device with unlimited 3g. I'm thinking about doing away with the Sprint plan. I can port my Sprint number to the Galaxy S6, and bring the other 3 lines into the Verizon plan for $80 that includes 12 gig of data plus 6 additional gig of bonus data for bringing in the 3 new lines. In addition to the $80 plan, there would be $20 access fee for each of the new lines and $40 for the present phone on the loyalty plan until that phone goes out of contract. Unused portions of the monthly 12 gig will roll over for the next billing cycle. When data is exhausted, you continue to have data available at a slower speed (safe mode). Phones can be used as hotspot at no additional charge. I'll have to purchase 3 new phones and 18 gig to use with four users. The monthly fee of this Verizon plan is less than I'm currently paying for the two old plans by about $40. Two questions:

Does this sound like a good plan if the data amount is a good fit for our four users?

I can get a jetpack or a Samsung tablet for no cost (2 year contract) and $10 per month. The sales person said the tablet works as good as the jetpack as a "hot spot." Is that correct for anyone that's tried it? I was considering a jetpack but if the tablet works just as well that might be a better way to go.

Thanks for you insights. Bob

You may want to ask this question over at the Internet for RVer's Facebook page, it seems to be the most active resource for this type of question. Personally, my wife and I just started 2 VZ lines at Costco today, $225 back on each new lines with an EIP (installment plan) on phones. We are both sharing the 8GB (large) plan, which for the time being comes with 2GB extra per phone, so a total of 12GB. But that won't be enough for us when we go full time, so I also plan on getting an unlimited verizon data plan (UDP) rental. But as I've learned on our previous time on the road full time, VZ works in more places than the other carriers, but not everywhere, so its a good idea to have backups. We will also have a phone on the new T-Mobile One+ plan (unlimited) and also hopefully an AT&T hotspot on backup as well.

yes checking the coverage map sure does help in choosing options for which carrier to go with. Metro pcs has unlimited rides on T-Mobil but coverage varies . Walmart sells the total wireless using verizon network more data per $. for 4 ppl i think 15 gb data for $110. Sprint unlimited that you have is good but some apps don't work on 3g.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

My advice "Shop Around".

Go to the Verizon store and ask what they have to offer then go to ATT. Tell each one that you are price shopping at the other.

We ended up with 2 new Iphones and a free tablet that we use as a hotspot and 30 gig of data for the price of 15 at ATT after we told them we were shopping Verizon next.

We found the people in the ATT store much more knowledgable and able to deal than 2nd tier and online sources, even ATT's own online people!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

and a free tablet that we use as a hotspot

Using a tablet as a hotspot is one of my questions. Is a Jetpack better or more convenient to use as hotspot than a tablet or does the tablet work as well. Costco/Verizon is offering a free tablet and just the $10 per month access fee. I currently use an Overdrive Pro with Sprint and the small size works well and it's basically "sailor proof." If the tablet works just as well as a Jetpack, I'll get the tablet. I'll be giving up the Sprint device if I switch to another carrier.

Using a tablet as a hotspot is one of my questions. Is a Jetpack better or more convenient to use as hotspot than a tablet or does the tablet work as well. Costco/Verizon is offering a free tablet and just the $10 per month access fee. I currently use an Overdrive Pro with Sprint and the small size works well and it's basically "sailor proof." If the tablet works just as well as a Jetpack, I'll get the tablet. I'll be giving up the Sprint device if I switch to another carrier.

We use Verizon and have a phone and a tablet, both of which can be used as a hotspot. I don't see the need for a jetpack, too.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I use a Verizon tablet for a hot spot and it works great, the only drawback is the Ellipsis tables are 4G LTE only but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

well, i have only used a phone for a hotspot once. worked good. anything that connects can be used as a hotspot. but i would think that a jetpack would be better, as you would run everything off of that.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

well, i have only used a phone for a hotspot once. worked good. anything that connects can be used as a hotspot. but i would think that a jetpack would be better, as you would run everything off of that.

We are in the jetpack camp too. Very convenient. Would rather manage the jetpack battery than my phone battery.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

We are in the jetpack camp too. Very convenient. Would rather manage the jetpack battery than my phone battery.

I'm leaning to the Jetpack, but if I did go with the tablet, it would be plugged in most of the time. If performance was the same, the negative for the tablet for me would be the size compared to the Jetpack. The positive would be having the tablet capabilities other than hotspot use.

We had a jetpack before we went to ATT and it was OK.

The tablet works fine too.

Sometimes we'll use my phone as a hotspot if the tablet battery is dead for some reason. In Canada we used my wife's T-Mobile phone as a hot spot for a couple of months.

If you get a free tablet it saves buying a jetpack! So does using a phone as a hotspot. Only drawback with a phone is when the user leaves with the phone the WiFi goes with it.

The phone, jetpack and tablet can all use the signal booster we have.

The Jetpack is sitting in a cupboard gathering dust!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

We had a jetpack before we went to ATT and it was OK.

The tablet works fine too.

Sometimes we'll use my

I heard that the tablet Verizon gives/sells is 4G LTE only. I'm guessing the Jetpack would also be 3G in the few areas that 4G is not available.

Look like different strokes for many folks!!!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Whether or not hot spotting off a phone or tablet is 'better' than a Jetpack really comes down to how you use the internet. For some, it's a great solution and much more simple. For others, it could complicate things.

We have a little article & video posted about this subject with the pros & cons of each at:

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/mifi

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Archived