Freezing Temps in relation to Water Pressure Gauges/Filters

mysticmd

Hi Escapees - well, I learned something else today from what I would call an expert in his field, so thought I would share his e-mail to me after I asked him about camping in freezing temps and water pressure gauges and filters:

Hi Mary,

This is Dave Brannam, Co-owner of RV water filter store. Freezing is one of the most common causes of failure for gauges, so they should be installed inside the storage area vs being left outside. If it is very cold and the storage area gets below freezing, you could put a shop light in there to keep from freezing. If you don't have a convenient place to install the gauge inside, you could protect the regulator as well as the filter canisters by putting them into an 18 gallon tote you can get from your favorite box store, then again, put a shop light in the tote to keep the system from freezing. Thanks for your inquiry!
Best Regards,
Dave

Since I much prefer to use the pressure regulator on the outside of the RV to protect the hose as well as other parts, I made up an insulated box from an ice chest that ours were inside of and that box also had a power cord with a 40 watt light in the lid of the box. For the hose I always applied the foam pipe insulation to the hose from the hydrant to the box and from the box to our RV. They are cheap and I didn't save the insulation from year to year. We were never in a location cold enough to require any heat for the water connection but did occasionally allow it to drip at about 1/2 drops per minute at night. At some locations I applied pipe insulation to the hydrant as well if it was not done by the hydrant's owner.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hey Kirk - I like your idea. Only after we had a mishap, did I get involved with the water pressure regulator and am eyeing Watts wondering if I go for the all stainless or what housing device we are going to create. My hair dryer usually comes in handy in the a.m. for the outside water source (we disconnect at night, drain hose, wrap insulation around water pipe). Sounds like time to get creative. I love these forums, I keep learning. Did you know those waxed, corrugated realtor signs they forget to collect come in handy for blocking the skylight in the bath?! :rolleyes:

. Did you know those waxed, corrugated realtor signs they forget to collect come in handy for blocking the skylight in the bath?

Never thought of that one... I've not seen it done by others either. We used one of those foam cushions sold at CW in each vent for some time, when Pam got innovative and made new ones, custom to our RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

So far our Winter 'stays' have had enough sub freezing temps to spur me to wrap the hydrant , regulator and hose with a single heat tape . I then apply sections of foam pipe insulation to keep the tape in place and for heat retention .

Plug the tape in and forget it for the Winter , as it's automatically on/off at 37° . Do the deed once and done . Takes about half an hour on and off . A lot less if I'm in hurry . ;)

And , we stuff a couch pillow in the ceiling vents . Color coordinated , no less . Great at reducing wind and / or rain noise , too . :D

Goes around , comes around .

I do use those reflective foam cushions for vents, but the big skylight over the shower is shaped like an upside down funnel and nothing can be pushed up there to stay in place, so a few subtle pieces of velcro on corners. I found some reflective sheeting that I wrapped around the corrugated sign, taped with chrome-color duct tape, velcro corners, all seems to hold up well enough and does the job, but won't stifle rainfall, but then that sound can usually put me to sleep.

I'll be forwarding the various insulation ideas to husband for water reg. , pipes, etc. We're not full time yet, so doing a lot of bouncing around.

Thanks for all the interesting, thought-provoking commentary.

Hi Escapees - well, I learned something else today from what I would call an expert in his field, so thought I would share his e-mail to me after I asked him about camping in freezing temps and water pressure gauges and filters:

Hi Mary,

This is Dave Brannam, Co-owner of RV water filter store. Freezing is one of the most common causes of failure for gauges, so they should be installed inside the storage area vs being left outside. If it is very cold and the storage area gets below freezing, you could put a shop light in there to keep from freezing. If you don't have a convenient place to install the gauge inside, you could protect the regulator as well as the filter canisters by putting them into an 18 gallon tote you can get from your favorite box store, then again, put a shop light in the tote to keep the system from freezing. Thanks for your inquiry!
Best Regards,
Dave

Camping in freezing temps....

If you are long term in one spot, and many days of freezing temps, the the suggestion about heat tape and foam is right on.

If the freezing temps are only a few hours in the morning and only for a few days of the winter, then disconnect the filters, gauges, and hoses and operate your RV off of your internal fresh water tank.

If the filters and stuff are in inside a storage compartment, then it becomes a matter of how long will you be below freezing and just how low is the temp going to be. A low of 27* with freezing starting at 1am and warming to above freezing by 9-10am then the stuff in the storage compartment is not going to freeze. Also depending on the storage compartment, going down to 24* or 25* outside, it may not freeze.

Just because the temp drops to 29* it still takes a while for the water to freeze.

Of course the pressure gauge exposed to open air will freeze quickly, but the filter filled with water will take quite a while to freeze.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Gotcha , Al, thanks. We use our trailer in various ways from quickie trips at the race tracks to extended vacations throughout the year all around the country but mostly east coast, so we've got some adjustments and improvements to make, and you all have given me some good info and concepts. One thing we noticed was we need to insulate the large storage compartment under the bedroom of the 5-er because that was nice and chilly w/A/C running (which would help with future equipment installation in winter), we need to upgrade our water pressure regulator, and be prepared with some heat wrap, foil, foam insulation, etc. Thank You! - Mary

Archived