Roof and front cap repair- duct tape residue and eternabond on fiberglass hole

bostonrob

My rubber roof recently had a significant encounter with a big tree branch. I used duct tape to hold a cover on the roof until I could order the Eternabond.

How can I remove the duct tape residue from the roof? I have Goo-Gone? And some acetone I bought to prepare the roof for the Eternabond?

Also, the branch indented and tore about 3 inches of the fiberglass front cap before tearing the roof. Can I safely cover this with Eternabond also?

Thanks.

Rob

'02 Chevy Silverado diesel CrewCab C3500, auto, long, dually, 4x2, 6.6L, 3.70 rear.

'04 Jayco Designer Medallion 30RKS 5th wheel, 50 amp, 33'6", 2 slides.

WD40 works great for removing tape stickem / residue . Follow that with cheap brake cleaner to clean the oils of the WD40 . Brake cleaner evaporates very quickly and has extremely little , if any , effect on rubber . The surface will be left as clean as it'll ever get and ready to accept the repair tape .

As for the repair tape holding on the fiberglass cap , it does a very good job there , too . I've 'replaced / covered the factory foil backed tape used on the joint between the caps and roof . That was about 5 years ago and the tape shows no sign of degradation or letting loose anytime soon .

Goes around , comes around .

Acetone is the product to use.

Acetone contains petroleum by-products. I instead use turpentine (no petroleum whatsoever).

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived