Alternator

Ronbo

Installed new batteries yesterday. started truck today and checked voltage. A

Ternate is only putting out 13.2 volts. Parts to rebuild it are $115. New alternator from finditparts.com is $158. Not worth my time to rebuild it, especially in this heat. I may rebuild it over the winter but for now I will be ordering a new alternator.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Before you do the alternator thing put a good charge on the batteries. New batteries are not always charged up.

With low voltage on the battery bank the alternator really needs to work to charge them up.

Sometimes it's too much amperage needed to charge the batteries and you will see low volts from the alternator.

Your call.....

Here is where a clamp-on DC Ammeter would come in real handy.

By the way, I have a NIB alternator for a Freightliner. Sold the Freightliner. Have new shocks for the Freightliner, too.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

What is the number of the alternator? After charging all night, the batteries were 13.7 volts at the alternator and after starting and increasing idle it charged at 14.26 volts. I will have to break out my clamp on amp meter and check it out. Have to go for labs this morning.

Ron C.

Alternator is a remanfactured Delco Remy 21 SI. 100 AMP . Part # 10459013 http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part/product-details/10459013

I will take $50 plus shipping. On Ebay for $100.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

No. I am still sitting still until the end of October. I am receiving chemo therapy and will be doing stem cell replacement therapy. I still have plenty of time to check it out. I replace the charge controller for the solar panels on the truck so they will keep,the batteries topped up.

Ron C.

Ronbo

Hope your treatments are coming along well!

I am sitting my favorite KW dealer so while on wait time I asked the parts guy about alternators. He looked up an alternator for my "T2" a 2000 `12.7 Detroit He has available a reman delco 170 amp for $160.. Since our trucks are getting a little long in the tooth some things have to be ordered. they do have 140 amp's on the shelf.

This dealer does have the 950 amp batteries for $63. group 31's.

I would think most KW dealers can get that 170 alternator for you. A phone call will let you know if the deal is good for you.

Just for giggles the shop rate here is at $100. hr. Right on I80 @ exit 73 in IL just west of I39.

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Archived