Water heater question.

oscarvan

Neighbor's usual 6 gallon water heater...... it's propane only. Plenty of gas as evidenced as the stove is working AND the fact that the pilot flame lights, and stays on. This tells me the thermo couple is working AND there's gas.

BUT, when turned further on, the main burner does not ignite......

Suggestions?

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

It is one of the older ones with the manual valve that you turn the control to pilot then on correct??

Check for 12 volts. As I recall the pilot will light without power. Could be lack of 12 volts or a blown fuse on control unit or a bad control unit if power is going to it.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

With the pilot holding, that proves the thermopile is generating power. These older units use a thermopile to generate the power needed to pull in the gas valve, instead of using 12 or 120 volt to open it. Thus, it must be a sticking gas valve. Another, much rarer issue, is the thermopile has been changed out for an incorrect thermocouple. The wrong unit just can't generate enough power to pull open the main gas valve, but will run the pilot just fine.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It was working this morning, so not the wrong thermopile..... do they go bad?

Yes, they can fail but the symptom of that is that the pilot will go out as soon as you stop holding the knob down in the light position. The reason for the push down position of that knob is to over ride the not yet heated thermal sensor. If it fails you loose the pilot as soon as you release the knob. The thing that I'd suspect at this point is the thermostatic control. That is what tells the gas valve to open and send propane to the burner where it will then ignite from the burning pilot.That is a part of the gas control valve. Here is a link to a manual that should help you to trouble shoot it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Oscar, you say "knob turns no pushing" that's one typical method used on the older non electric manual pilot light systems. Some you had to turn to "Pilot" then push in, others turn to Pilot then turn a tad further against slight spring return pressure, and light the pilot, then continue to hold until the thermocouple heated up. Once its hot enough you can release the spring pressure (or stop hold down) and IFFFFFFFFFFF the thermocouple is good, it will remain lit, otherwise it will go out. If yours stay lit once the spring pressure is released I DONT THINK YOUR THERMOCOUPLE IS THE PROBLEM.

However to answer your direct question YES they do go bad and I've seen far more T couple problems then the gas valve and thermostat, but staying lit once released tells me your t couple is okay.

Age or corrosion or moisture or sticking etc etc can be at fault concerning the gas valve and thermostat, but I haven't had the nerve to disassemble and tear into one to try and "fix" it. The assembly isn't that expensive if yours is at fault and cant be easily repaired.

John T

Archived