Need to remove dog house & lower dash parts

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a 2012 VNL 630. I have the need to remove the dog house and lower dash parts. On the dog house I have removed the 4 bolts located on the floor. The dog house will not move. I have opened the hood and looked for bolts under the hood. I did not see any bolts under the hood. I have a feeling that I need to remove some lower dash parts to get the dog house out. I have also removed some screws from the lower dash that I could see. What are some of the tricks and location of fasteners that I can not see. I do not want to force anything. I have removed lower dash pieces from a gen 1 with not much trouble but the gen 2 seems to be a little more difficult.

Looking for help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On the top of the Doghouse against the firewall there's two bolts holding a bracket that secures the top "lip" of the Doghouse. It's a pain to reach, and if I recall, I used a couple ratchet extensions and a swivel joint.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I might also mention that I decided to remove the Doghouse after I found some water leaking in when I directed hose at the joint from the engine compartment. I suspect this "test" greatly exaggerated what the joint might see driving through puddles and the like. Anyway, I proceeded with removal in expectation of replacing the gasket. Local Volvo didn't carry the gasket so I gave the gasket a boost by shoving 3/16" Dacron rope under the gasket and sealing it in with some Loctite PL3X polyurethane caulk. Turned out very effective at sealing against hose directed leaks . . . and it was cheap!

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Hi Jim,

Have you ever removed the lower dash parts above the dog house ? I think if I can remove those pieces, that it could be easier to see those top bolts that you where talking about. I also have a need to remove the whole lower dash parts. I am thinking about changing there color.

Al

Yes, I removed the lower dash plastic components. There was also an abandoned satellite comm box that I removed to gain access and it was still a pain.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Yes, I removed the lower dash plastic components. There was also an abandoned satellite comm box that I removed to gain access and it was still a pain.

Was there any tricks about the lower dash pieces ? Are the bolts that need to be removed right in front of you ? Is there any hidden bolts ?

Al

Alan, I took the small "shelf" out that sits above the dog house. Those screws are real obvious if you lay on your back and look up...think there is one in the back too. After that you can see the top of the doghouse and the bolts that are back there going into the firewall.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Alan, I took the small "shelf" out that sits above the dog house. Those screws are real obvious if you lay on your back and look up...think there is one in the back too. After that you can see the top of the doghouse and the bolts that are back there going into the firewall.

Hi Phil,

Thank you for tip. I found out on my truck that they replaced the two screws on the top with two clips up that are up front. There where no screws or clips in the back of the shelf. Getting to the top two bolts on the dog house where a pain in the a$$ just like Jim said. The hard part is yet to come. That is putting the two top bolts back into the top of the dog house.

Al

Archived