C-PAP power

Greetings fellow escapees!

Is there a way to power up a c-pap machine while dry camping? My Nash trailer has a 12-volt plug in and we would like an alternative where we don't have to run our generator at night. Any advice or help would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time :)

Something else you can do is like I have done a time or two. Just use a 300W inverter and plug it in. I have done that and have not had any problem what so ever. I just open the access panel to the inverter and hook the alligator clips on the positive and negative. I do need to use a short extension cord to reach my side of the bed.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Welcome to the site. I have a Respironics REMstar Pro C Flex. It uses up to 5 amps at 12 DC or 2.1 amps 120 volt AC. 60 watts versus 250 watts is a no brainer to operate off the 12 volt battery. A few years back, I had a small Class C that I installed a 12 volt plug. I just run a wire from the Fuse Panel to the bed side. The Class C had 2 batteries, one for the Engine and one 27 Battery for the living space so there was a not a fear of not being able to drive the next morning. I did use the battery two consecutive nights without the humidify heater or any charge on the battery but the normal was some form of battery charging each day.

Clay

2016 Mobile Suites with both AC & DC by the bed and accurate battery capacity for first 24 hours.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

A friend did what MnTom did, used an appropriately sized inverter with alligator clips to the battery, except he used a standalone 12volt deep cycle battery that he recharged every other day on a charger. He was only a weekend camper, so it worked for him. It is the setup he used when his house had a multi-day power outage. In that situation, he carried the battery and charger to his office to recharge.

(We have a large battery bank and big inverter that we run overnight to power our CPAP machines and residential fridge.)

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I have a Respironics system one.

I poked around in the storage compartment and found a copper wire positive that ran to something when we were only on battery power. Be careful..I initially tapped into one of the fixture lights in our bedroom and the wire was aluminum. It isn't good to combine the two mediums.

I installed a 12v plug close to where the unit sits so it is easy to hook up. Cost ? 1 12v plug. My machine has a cord to hook up to a 12 v plug..

Here is the surprise.. I slept in the rig one night..at 11 pm, my battery read 13.2. I shut my cpap off @ 7:30 am and the battery read 12.8. I shall try it again with the humidifier running..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

My wife uses the Respironics system one. I tapped into the 12V light wiring by the head of the bed and added a 12V plug. Also bought the 12V cord from Respironics. She does not turn on the humidifier when we are dry camping/boondocking. The CPAP only pulls about one half amp with the humidifier off so no need for concern about battery usage. We leave the CPAP plugged in all the time as it pulls less than 0.1 amp when turned off. Just enough to keep its internal computer operating.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Al,

Make sure the wire you tapped into is copper.

The system uses so little power that I am going to try it with the humidifier..why give up something if there is no cost to it..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

• 2 weeks later...

My wife uses a CPAP and we fulltimed in a small RV. We do have AGM batteries and a small solar system and we were able to travel with almost never using a hook up or the generator.

Unless you are just planning a casual trip or two, do not attempt to use an inverter. Instead get a CPAP that operates on 12 volts. Many of the agents at the suppliers don't seem to understand so you need to be persistent and get the correct unit. Why do I say to avoid inverters? Run one for a while then feel how hot it gets. That heat is all wasted energy. Some inverters seem to waste way more power than is actually by the CPAP. A 12v CPAP by itself uses relatively little power. I would guess 15-20 AH for a night's sleep. The heater for the humidifier is another issue. Some people seem to do fine without using the humidifier. Others do fine with the humidifier in use but not powered. Unfortunately, not my wife. To cut back on power consumption she placed a hot water bottled under the humidifier and used some dish towels to provide insulation to maintain the heat. She was then able to run the humidifier on a low setting.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I just saw it. I have a Respironics M Series BiPap Machine. I got a 12v power cord from CPap.com and we put a 12V plug by the bed to run my machine off of. works great.

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

Archived