What's on your bumper and how secure is it?

Ever marvel at the size and amount of the stuff tied to bumpers, ladders and such and wonder if it is really secured. This article tells the tragic story of what can happen when stuff breaks loose. The objects don't need to be near as big as the BBQ in this case. Several years ago, a good friend was killed when a tire came through his windshield. No disabled vehicles were found in the area, so the presumption was that it was a spare being carried on or in another vehicle going the opposite direction.

The follow-up story shows a trailer that came apart. Not disconnected, the trailer actually broke. :o Safety chains weren't involved in the incident, but one has to wonder when and how thoroughly the trailer frame was inspected. Our stuff usually gets a once per year going over, and a quick once over every use, but some of the equipment I've borrowed, and some of the shop equipment is downright scary.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Several years ago we saw a fifth wheel with a step ladder hanging their roof access ladder and they lost it in heavy traffic. The 18 wheeler behind them ran over it, it then flipped out to the side and was hit by a car, and the chain reaction continued. We were several lanes to the fiver's right and were on brakes hard because of others trying to avoid the ladder and it's results. When all was over there were 1 semi, 3 cars, and a pickup all on the side with varying amounts of damage and the fiver just continued down the road, apparently unaware of what was happening behind him. He probably thinks that some thief took his ladder. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived