surge Guard problem

Ok, was loosing 1 leg of 110 and found cable plug end burned, arced. Was going to replace end and wire burnt blackish. Cut back 1 ft and still burnt looking. Bought new cable. Now plug on Surge Guard bad. Figures. Question is, has anyone cut off ends and mounted this unit in camper. It's model 34750.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

what I have done on my 50 amp service sometimes is put the unit in the storage area for the cable and plug in the guard in there and run a 30 amp cord to the campground service. But no reason you can not put a new plug on the guard and a female short length on the trailer and leave the guard in the trailer and put a new end on the cut down cord for the trailer so you can use it without the guard if necessary or even then go back to the tradition method with the guard on the pedestal. wow now I am confused

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

How do you know the Surge Guard Device is still good? If the plug on the device is burnt that would be a concern. Suggest if your going to remove the burnt plug and install your own plug that you check the output from the device before you install the new plug. These devices are manufactured as sealed units, once you remove the burnt plug you are opening up the unit to the outside environment and contamination from moisture. These units are solid state devices and moisture and corrosion is not their friend.

It has a read out, counts down checking power, displays current good. Unit functions correctly. Just has a weathered plug. Arced inside. I could just buy another but they are pricey and it does still work if plug fixed.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

You might consider replacing it with a Progressive Industries EMS as it has a lifetime warranty. I installed the hard-wired 50A version with remote display and it has saved me multiple times.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

NO I have never done what you asked.

Of course, you can easily install a new plug or receptacle out on the ends of the cord, that's NOT Rocket Science. It may not seal to the cable as well as a factory molded unit, but with a good sealant product once all completed you can do pretty well. THIS ASSUMES THE UNIT IS STILL GOOD

However, since you're having to install cable and/or ends, I would consider hard wiring it and mounting it permanent out of the weather. That's simply a matter of using cable and installing any plug or receptacle as required. Its really a peace of cake to do any of this and Id prefer it be protected then outside where rain seeps in and can contribute to arcing or burning etc. The fewer outdoor exposed plugs and receptacles the better.

You can do this

John T

. Question is, has anyone cut off ends and mounted this unit in camper. It's model 34750.

I've not done that, but I did replace a burned plug on mine. I actually bought a fairly new one from a previous owner who had plugged it into a poor condition power cord and so damaged the 34750's female plug. I bought a 50a male, 30a female dog-bone and cut off the 50a male plug. I then used as a replacement for the damaged one on our unit. I used it that way for several years and have since sold it as we now have a 30a RV and a 30a, Surge Guard(34730). To open the Surge Guard you will need one of the security torques drivers to get the screws out. I got mine from Amazon.

41tgig24grL.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived