Breathing Issues in RV

Last week I moved into a motor home and out of my house that I could no longer live in due to dust and mold sensitivity. This is the second home I've been forced out of in the last 8 months; I moved into a new 2015 Class A Winnebago Vista 36Y, hoping to avoid the health issues I had in both houses. I'm currently in campground in north west New Jersey.

I find I'm having the same allergy type symptoms(chest pain, swollen eyes) in the RV, I think caused by dust, as I believe the RV is free of any mold. I chose the Vista in part because there is very little carpeting, the doghouse is carpeted as are the edges of the slides and a strip below the cabinets in bedroom. But I think these areas, and the upholstery on valances are the source of my breathing problems.

I'm thinking of removing the carpeting and valances in the hope it will make the RV livable for me, and would be interested to hear from anyone who has had similar health issues and how you managed them. What changes to your living environment helped and did climate affect how you felt. I find I'm sensitized to more different things of late, plastics, fragrances, things that never bothered me before.

Last week I moved into a motor home and out of my house that I could no longer live in due to dust and mold sensitivity. This is the second home I've been forced out of in the last 8 months; I moved into a new 2015 Class A Winnebago Vista 36Y, hoping to avoid the health issues I had in both houses. I'm currently in campground in north west New Jersey.

I find I'm having the same allergy type symptoms(chest pain, swollen eyes) in the RV, I think caused by dust, as I believe the RV is free of any mold. I chose the Vista in part because there is very little carpeting, the doghouse is carpeted as are the edges of the slides and a strip below the cabinets in bedroom. But I think these areas, and the upholstery on valances are the source of my breathing problems.

I'm thinking of removing the carpeting and valances in the hope it will make the RV livable for me, and would be interested to hear from anyone who has had similar health issues and how you managed them. What changes to your living environment helped and did climate affect how you felt. I find I'm sensitized to more different things of late, plastics, fragrances, things that never bothered me before.

Is this the same RV you were asking about the furnace problem in? If so I'm assuming that the furnace did burn off the coatings and no longer has a problem?

Like Ronbo, I wonder if one of the many air purifier systems might not help? Removing the valances shouldn't be a major issue or you could just have them recovered with some type of material that won't hold dust, such as a hard surface. The engine cover is a little more challenging but could be done. Most of them are made of fiberglass but I have seen other materials so the process will depend upon what it happens to be made of. I'd think that one could replace the carpet with a vinyl or perhaps some sort of tile or possibly even wood. I have not seen it done, but see no reason that it could not be. The catch is that since there is no previous example to go by the cost might be high.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

@Rondo Anything that blows air around seems to give me trouble. But once I get the dust level down, and air purifier may be a good way to keep it down. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Kirk - HI Kirk,yes same rig that had furnace smoke issue, that's resolved. I haven't been running the HVAC as I don't want to get the dust that's bothering me trapped in coils, had that issue in my house. I plan on recovering the valances with a cleanable material I'll continue the linoleum that's in the rest of right onto the flat surfaces of doghose,and it was suggested to me that I remove carpet from engine cover and have it painted.

Is this something that you have always had?

I had the same issue when I was much younger but out grew them.

I would think that NW New Jersey wouldn't be an issue and that a move to AZ would not help because of the dust.

What do your doctor's say? Good Luck

Archived