Batteries for the trailer

house

Ok thanks for the input on my starting batteries, I figured while i was at it I should also replace my horse trailer battery. But now comes the question of what type of battery, Currently there is a deep cycle battery in there, and I am wondering if i should change it to dual purpose or starting battery. The reason for this is that i rarely use it to run accessories for long periods of time and i only charge it with the trucks alternator( which i understand is not really that good for deep cycle batteries). The main duties of the battery are to run the Air compressor on the trailer, and the operate the hydraulic jack. The jack only goes up and down a couple of times a year but the compressor runs at about 10% duty cycle when driving the truck, obviously the battery is charged when the truck is running through the 7 way plug

I would love to hear your input for what type of battery to buy?

The diff between deep cycle and starting is the cold cranking output and the amp hrs. Basically deep cycle can output a load for a greater duration and a starting can provide more amps in a short duration.

Sounds like a deep cycle is what you need.

If you are only charging off the truck your prolly not maintaining at full charge, not full charge storage will shorten the batts lifespan.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

For the usage you're describing, and the charge system you're describing, throw another Group 31 from the International dealer, and replace it as often as you would a more expensive battery.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived