Windows 10 Update Today Deleted All Documents, Photos,

I typed in "Oh my god, Windows update just deleted all my documents ...." Google fed me lots of hits on this question but all were a year old or more. Most had to do with upgrading to Windows 10 from another version of Windows. So these didn't apply as I had upgraded many months ago. This one presented itself to be just a normal update. Anyway I had a message pop up that I need to restart my computer for an update to take effect. I put it off then (yesterday or the day before that) because it was not convenient. Long story short I pushed the start button and the familiar update and restart menu item showed so I clinked on it to do so (as I have many many times). Well the time it took to update was for sure not a short story. Bottom line when it finally finished I was wiped clean as if I had just loaded or upgraded to a new OS. I am not a particularly a phenotype with computers and had prepared a backup before we headed out on this particulate trip, but don't think I burned an image of this laptop (haven't had a chance to look) but did get Outlook up and downloaded Chrome and Classic Shell. Anyone run into this update?

Later,

J

PS This happened to my HP Laptop running Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, build 10586.164

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Update on my post. Got another message that I need to restart my computer to complete an update when we returned from shopping. I thought I don't have anything to loose since I still have no documents, pictures, music, etc., so i went for it. Once again took a while to complete and when finished everything was back. With the exception of the server versions of Window I have used every one of them and still have a copy of DOS 6.22 on floppy's that the earliest version ran on and I have never seen anything like this before. Bottom line after two separate and distinct updates my documents, etc. have returned. Weird.

Later,

J

PS System now shows Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, build 10586.318

PSS Double weird!

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

It might be a good time to make a system image and/or turn on file backups with an external drive? If it makes you feel better one of the Windows 10 updates a while back a couple of months seemed to make File Explorer show all gone, the doubles of them, then back to normal. Seems I had the same experience with manually rebooting a couple of times solved the problem here too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived