Who drives Class A trucks for a living, or used to?

The Few

My plan is to be lazy, hard working, and make decent money at the same time.. (supplemental income)

If nothing else, don't get lazy about developing and maintaining a reasonable regimen of healthy living. The driving lifestyle can lead to a lot of poor food choices, poor exercise choices, etc. No sense ruining your enjoyment for later just for 2-3 years of lazy, hard-working times.

If nothing else, don't get lazy about developing and maintaining a reasonable regimen of healthy living. The driving lifestyle can lead to a lot of poor food choices, poor exercise choices, etc. No sense ruining your enjoyment for later just for 2-3 years of lazy, hard-working times.

I really have to start thinking and proof reading my own comments before I press the " send" button on my laptop...lol

When I mentioned lazy, I meant compared to what I was doing, and what I am doing now as an occupation, I think truck driving would be a cake walk..

During my (24 yrs) in the Marine Corps, I have spent (8yrs) as a Motor Transport heavy hauling driver, (4yrs) as a Motor Transport Platoon Sgt, and (12yrs) as a Truck Master, Motor Transport Chief and 1st Sgt for a Motor Transport Company..

Now I work Federal Government Civil Service for the past 6 years working in the Mental Health Alcohol/Substance abuse supervisor directly from retiring from the Marine Corps without even a break or resting period ..

Stemming from my past and present occupation, being a truck driver would be a "laid back and lazy" business move for me.. Or if I wanted to put it into political correct perspectives, Truck driving would be a "break in my life"..

Sorry for the confusion or wrong choice of words sir, but I think everyone knows that being a driver of a big truck, is NOT EASY or LAZY!!!

But for me, it would be an enjoyable walk in the park, and I think I would actually enjoy driving without having to worry about someone trying to blow me up, or shoot me in the head while trying to deliver water, food, or supplies to the Marines in those "beyond the front line" area's!!

The Few..

The Few

I drove commercially for over 8 years, company trucks primarily hauling anhydrous ammonia. Regional ag operations, and most of it prior to CDL and Hazmat regs. I had a lot of fun, home every Wednesday night and weekends for the most part. But that was the earlier 80's through about 1991. Grandfathered into CDLs, never drove an electronic truck (still don't), or have satellite gizmos, but the companies I worked for did run some real nice Motorola FM two way radios with about a 60 mile reach. Great for dodging portables as long as we had one legal truck up front. Looking at the industry as it's run now, I don't know if I would do it again.

Damian
'83 W900B, 3406B, RTO14615, 355 tandems, '95 Carriage Carriage triple axle

reluyog@gmail.com

Drove dump truck(transfer pup) at the end of high school. Than spent a year OTR hauling beer from Olympia to LA. And back hauling huge rolls of paper for the Seattle Times. decided trucking wasnt for me as I liked being home more than just on weekends. Still hold a CDL and use it not and then if a friend of mine needs help with his business.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

OO for 10 yrs in my younger days. Currently drive acid part time some eves. Have an "A" w/ everything. Couple observations-

Before you start salivating, be sure you can pass the medical. Some even require sleep studies (this does not apply to foreign drivers on our roads...............)

Hazmat endorsement is pricey

Tanker work is best IMHO if you have the interest & keep the brain engaged ALL the time. Usually one way haul, plants 24 hrs, glad to see you & don't have to grease a forklift operator

Lastly, remember "It reads better than it lives"

Best of luck!

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

OO for 10 yrs in my younger days. Currently drive acid part time some eves. Have an "A" w/ everything. Couple observations-

Before you start salivating, be sure you can pass the medical. Some even require sleep studies (this does not apply to foreign drivers on our roads...............)

Hazmat endorsement is pricey

Tanker work is best IMHO if you have the interest & keep the brain engaged ALL the time. Usually one way haul, plants 24 hrs, glad to see you & don't have to grease a forklift operator

Lastly, remember "It reads better than it lives"

Best of luck!

Yeah, that medical will bite you when you least expect it!!

I couldn't do anything right now except for tanker, for that very reason.. Either tanker, over dimensional, or flatbed.. ( something to keep me going)

**Explain to me what you meant by "One way hauls", with tankers**..

Thank you for your input (F.R.O.G)

Semper Fi

The Few

I hauled hazardous waste in a non baffled tanker for many years, loaded only one way, but the pay was twice the going rate, and the product was pumped on and ran off, hands free, that's why I had 4 truck running and only problem I ever had was with the other 3 drivers, so scaled back to one truck and made a butt load of money in the day.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I hauled hazardous waste in a non baffled tanker for many years, loaded only one way, but the pay was twice the going rate, and the product was pumped on and ran off, hands free, that's why I had 4 truck running and only problem I ever had was with the other 3 drivers, so scaled back to one truck and made a butt load of money in the day.

Roger

Hello sir,

I never knew hazardous waste payed so well.. What was the product being transported, human waste?? LOL

I know that explosives pays well, but who and what company will pay twice the going rate, and during what span of time was this??

Was this in the 80's, 90's, or millennial years (2000 and beyond)?

The Few

Hazmat pays well for several reasons. Not everybody can get a hazmat license depending on your background. Of those that do, many do not want the risk associated with what you haul. I'd say better than 60% of the tankers you see (except gasoline, which pays squat) are non-baffled. The load will shift forward and back. If you take a corner too fast, the load will "climb up the wall" and flip you over. Liquid bulk is not "stab it & steer it, the trailer will follow no-brainer".

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Yes, yo

Hazmat pays well for several reasons. Not everybody can get a hazmat license depending on your background. Of those that do, many do not want the risk associated with what you haul. I'd say better than 60% of the tankers you see (except gasoline, which pays squat) are non-baffled. The load will shift forward and back. If you take a corner too fast, the load will "climb up the wall" and flip you over. Liquid bulk is not "stab it & steer it, the trailer will follow no-brainer". Y

Yes, you are correct, but in the old days you could fool a hill by hitting the brakes before the steep grade and let the load run to the front of the tank and push you up the hill, but stopping was another trip, hit the brakes to hard and the load would hit the front of the tank and push you through the stop light or the stop sign, or the wreck.

But the pay was good.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived