Two Air Conditioners 8KW Generator

Kevor

Looking at a 2013 Tiffen Phaeton 40QBH. This model has the standard two air conditioners with an 8KW generator. I was looking for the upgrade with 3 AC units and 10KW generator. Can anyone share pros/cons of the 2 AC units/8KW generator?

Thanks

We have a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star w/(2) Dometic 13.5 BTU AC/Heatpumps and a 7.5 Cummins-Onan diesel genie. Have not had "any" issues running both airs simultaneously, along with the convection/microwave oven; etc. We set the stat at 72, occasionally change from auto fan speed to low or high and have never had any cooling issues or lack of gennie capacity. The present setup of what your looking at will be fine; (unless you have money to burn and want the additional stuff) :D

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

We have a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star w/(2) Dometic 13.5 BTU AC/Heatpumps and a 7.5 Cummins-Onan diesel genie. Have not had "any" issues running both airs simultaneously, along with the convection/microwave oven; etc. We set the stat at 72, occasionally change from auto fan speed to low or high and have never had any cooling issues or lack of gennie capacity. The present setup of what your looking at will be fine; (unless you have money to burn and want the additional stuff) :D

Nope, no money to burn. Thanks very much for your reply.

Where do you plan to travel? If you are sticking to the northern half of the US, you will be fine. If you are planning on touring the SW in the summer, then 2 A/C units might leave you feeling a bit warm. I have a 36' Phaeton with the 8K generator and we are fine here in the SW. But if I had a 40', I would want an additional A/C unit.

Roger & Mary
2014 Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit
Zoe (lab mix) and the cats (Sam & Milly)

I run 2 Coleman AC's a 13.5K PS & 15K PS heat pump with a 6.5KW LP generator with no problem.

Your 8KW probably could handle 3 AC depending on the size/make of them.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Your 8KW probably could handle 3 AC depending on the size/make of them.

I'd be very leery of trying that. I have had experience with a MH (not mine) on which a third A/C was added to a rig with an 8kW generator. It didn't have a load management system and, as a result, there was no way to avoid having the starting surges periodically occur at the same time. The owner experienced several A/C failures before it was realized that the source of the problem was the extra A/C.

An 8kW generator will max out at ~60-65A. The running draw of each A/C is ~14-15A which makes it possible to run 3 of them, but if they all decide to start at the same time the system will be overloaded and there will be substantial voltage drop. This is what what doing in the A/C's on our friend's MH.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

My coach has 2 acs plus the dash air. I have only ever found a need to run 1 ac at a time even in very hot weather. Not sure why any coach would need 3. Possibly the darker coaches soak up more heat from the sun? Mine also has dual pane windows...helps immensely for both AC season and heating season.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived