WiFiRanger to Ethernet only

I'm not sure I understand the situation well enough to properly ask the question, but here goes....

I'm in a place that forbids the use of WiFi signal extenders. My understanding is that they don't want a device like a WiFiRanger to receive and then repeat a signal: WiFi For WAN(?)

So, I want to use my standalone WiFiRanger to receive the signal but not repeat it. Then, I want to connect to it via Ethernet cable to my old wireless router.

I'm not clear on the settings I need to use. I have it working by turning off the WiFiRanger's broadcast radio off (I can still connect to the WiFiRanger via the Ethernet cable). However if there's a better way I'd like to use it instead.

If I'm not talking complete gibberish here I'd appreciate any directions. Thanks.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Certainly not an expert and I am sure that Jack Mayer or Docj will chime in. Why connect to another router? The WFR Go or Go2 has 4 ethernet ports that you can connect devices other than the remote roof top radio to. If you are talking about the Elite, Mini or one of the older roof mounted stand alones, then to not be broadcasting a signal I think you would have to connect to a router to connect more than one device at a time.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

TCW is correct in that the Go and Go2 have multiple Ethernet ports that you can connect to with your laptop. If you're not used to doing this, just turn off the laptop's wifi. That will "force" it to connect to the Ethernet source.

But before you do that I have a suggestion. Start with the understanding that the only truly valid objection the park might have with repeaters would be if it is the kind of park that limits the number of devices that can connect to its wifi. Parks like that do dislike repeaters because they appear to the network as a single device.

But all the other so-called "reasons" that somehow they deprive others of bandwidth or conflict with the wifi are BS IMO.

The first thing I would do is rename the Ranger's SSID something like "Scott's Mifi" since if you're like most people you're still using the default name of Pvt. Wifi Ranger.... Remember, every MiFi and phone hotspot in the park is broadcasting an SSID and there's no way for the park to know that yours is rebroadcasting its wifi rather than your cellular signal.

If you'd like to go one step further to the "dark side" just click on the "Hidden Network" button on the WiFi tab of the Ranger's onscreen control panel. The network will still exist and some devices may show it as "Hidden Network" but many won't even show it at all. You can still connect to it as you always did but unless you know the SSID you wouldn't be able to. Unless the park is fairly sophisticated there's not going to be any way for them to know who's broadcasting it and even if they did they still won't know if you have a Ranger or a cellular hotspot.

Lastly, if you still decide to use Ethernet to your laptop you can let the laptop run Connectify which turns the computer itself into a hotspot. That way you could let other devices in your network have access to the park's wifi without using the Ranger as a "repeater". Bottom line is that the park's rule is nonsensical IMO and there are multiple ways around it without getting caught.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

...Bottom line is that the park's rule is nonsensical IMO and there are multiple ways around it without getting caught...

Scott doesn't say, but if the campground WiFi is a fee for service system, I can understand why they do not want it repeated and potentially have access given to non-paying users. Think theft of services. I also do not think it reflects well on an individual. this forum or the Escapees organization to provide advise on how to circumvent policies or break laws.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Scott, just use your unlimited Verizon and don't worry about their wifi. You won't be affecting their service at all. I never had a problem at the park you are at. Jackie can connect to their wifi directly if you are out and about. I have not found any park wifi that is fast enough to do what I want so I don't even bother trying any more.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I have a WiFiRanger Mini Pack in my MH. It has only 1 Ethernet out port. I use that to connect to a 8 port Ethernet Switch.

From that switch, Ethernet cables go to a DirecTV Genie receiver, Smart TV, Blue Ray DVD, Laptop and a Desktop.

Then I use the WiFiRanger WiFi output for my iPad & iPhone.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Thanks everyone. My WiFiRanger is a Mobile - just a stand alone unit. There's only one Ethernet port.

Also, the purpose isn't to circumvent the rule - it's an effort to cooperate with it, basically trying to use the WiFiRanger as an external antenna.

I decided to pull the router off line, set the network to hidden and put it on low power. I'm not sure what the range is on low power, but I doubt it reaches much beyond the campsite.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Thanks everyone. My WiFiRanger is a Mobile - just a stand alone unit. There's only one Ethernet port.

Are you aware that the single Ethernet port can be used for a LAN connection even though it is also how the device gets its power? No doubt you are powering it though a POE adapter which has an additional port for an Ethernet connection, in addition to the port through which power is delivered. You probably knew this but I wanted to make sure you did.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel's advice is sound. Other than not wanting to share a paid connection among more than one device, there is really no reason that WiFi as WAN hosted in a router would legitimately be restricted. I CAN see why some parks "may" not want a high powered CPE device running, though. Sometimes, if used incorrectly, that can cause issues with the network. But use of the WiFiRanger without the external device cannot. Also, even with the external device running, one of the benefits of the WiFiRanger product line is that it is designed NOT to interfere with the host network.

I do not recommend circumventing park rules on paid connections. In that case you really are stealing a service. But for random nonsense rules about networking you can make your own judgement about them. For example...I was recently in a park that tried to restrict the use of cellular "Jetpacks", because they said it "interfered with their office". Utter nonsense.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There was a hotel,chain that was fined because they were blocking people from using their own decide to access the Internet. If the rule is designed to funnel people onto their paid network it is a violation. Knowing this park I don't believe that is their purpose. More than likely is is a misunderstanding of how their system works.

Ron C.

There was a hotel,chain that was fined because they were blocking people from using their own decide to access the Internet. If the rule is designed to funnel people onto their paid network it is a violation. Knowing this park I don't believe that is their purpose. More than likely is is a misunderstanding of how their system works.

Ron C.

Archived