Six Windows 10 annoyances: How to make them go away for good

RV_

"You've got complaints about Windows 10? Don't worry, you've got plenty of company. From my mailbox, these are the top gripes about Microsoft's new OS, with instructions to help you make those problems vanish.

Some things in life are certain: death and taxes, the Cubs finding a way to avoid winning the World Series, and Microsoft Windows driving people crazy.

I can't do anything about the Grim Reaper, the IRS, or the Cubbies, but I can help with solutions to the six Windows 10 annoyances I hear about most frequently.

The article goes on to cover:

Sign in with a local account instead of a Microsoft account

Tone down telemetry settings

Set your default browser

"Please go away, Cortana"

Keep your BitLocker key under lock and key

Stop Windows Update interruptions"

The article with screen shots of each that make it easy is here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/six-windows-10-annoyances-how-to-make-them-go-away-for-good/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I recently received two new (one was new, the other refurbished) laptops with Windows 10 Home operating system installed.

The objections noted in the Zdnet article indicated that people are simply hitting the "Next" button when first setting up the computer - and NOT reading any of the setup options.

It is far, far simpler to turn off all those setup options during setup.

Perhaps it is the word "Customize" that frightens people? Instead of "Customize" maybe Microsoft should be made to put up a visible "Remove all the crapware, spyware and useless junk" button?

(However, I have to note that the 12-year-old recipient of one laptop seemed to enjoy all the games and useless stuff.)

Maybe it's just a matter of perspective?

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I agree with Rich, I always when setting up a new computer select "Customize Settings" not "Express Settings." I agree with you on setup. What most folks do not do is research the custom options on a new setup and the pros and cons of each choice. Lots of articles explain them so they can be ready. I have several laptops for sale here I refurbished and installed all the great free Office Suites, protection, and all the little apps that make life easy with thongs for me. I pin control panel to the taskbar along with the Libre Office start, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, etc. For the systems going to others I set up Windows 10 to auto install updates as most here will only be using it with cable Internet. For the few more expensive powerful systems I am selling I wait until the person is here and do a brief consult before I wipe it and overwrite, and do all the Windows updates and preparations.

Here is one of the better articles with screen shots and explanations of each set of options: http://www.howtogeek.com/224352/what%e2%80%99s-the-difference-between-windows-10%e2%80%99s-express-or-custom-setup/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The objections noted in the Zdnet article indicated that people are simply hitting the "Next" button when first setting up the computer - and NOT reading any of the setup options.

That is a common problem with most new hardware today and no doubt contributes to the lack of good instruction manuals with a lot of software out there today. I wish that I had $1 for every service call that I made in my career which would not have been if the operator had read the instructions!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived