Refrige Keeps Running

breister

My refrigerator is empty, my coach is stored in a climate controlled building, but my refrigerator seems to run constantly. I would assume that since it is empty and there is no sun shining on it, it should not have to constantly run to keep cool? I have turned the temp down to a lower setting while it is stored and have heard it is better to keep them running while stored than to turn off and on all the time? Just wondering if this is normal for it to run almost constantly? thanks alot

An empty fridge/freezer has no mass to retain the cold, thus needs to run to keep cool.

A full freezer is most efficient followed by a mostly full, but with room for air to move fridge.

Never heard the one about not turning the fridge off.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

We always turn our refrigerator off when it's in storage. So far, we've never had a problem doing so.

Even if we wanted to keep the refrigerator going, we have no place to plug into electricity where it's stored, so would have to keep the propane on...not a good idea, IMO, especially considering how close other rigs are on each side of our rig.

I guess if you have a place to plug into electricity, then if you want to keep the refrigerator going, you could. However, if you can't plug into electricity, keeping propane going in an enclosed building is not a good idea, IMO, and may even be against the rules for the storage place.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Agree they work better with stuff in them vs empty; maybe put some tupperware containers filled with water in the freezer and fridge so the fridge has something to cool? I use them to help regulate the temp in the fridge by rotating frozen ones from the freezer to fridge. When the frozen ones thaw, they go back in the freezer to refreeze, and are replaced with already frozen ones.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

I can't imagine why it would be better to run it for long periods that it isn't in use?? That would probably be true if you were to only stop using it for only one or two days, but if you are stopped for a week or more, there is little or no logic in keeping it running that I have ever heard of.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree that there is no value in leaving it running when empty, particularly with the fire danger (whether it is running on LP OR electricity). We had our Norcold for 11 years, with one cooling unit replacement. It got a lot of use, seven years of it fulltime, but any time it was empty, it was turned off w/doors blocked open. We replaced it with a residential model in 2014, and likewise turn it off when it is not being used.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

While I agree it does not make sense to run the frig while in storage for more than a few days, the fact it is running ALL the time may indicate you have a problem. If I understand correctly, one of the failure modes (bad thermistor if I remember right) will put the unit into MAX cool and force it to run all the time.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

........ If I understand correctly, one of the failure modes (bad thermistor if I remember right) will put the unit into MAX cool and force it to run all the time.

Your memory is correct. RV refrigerators today have a "fail safe" mode if they detect either an open or a shorted temperature sense thermistor and because the thought is that you loose less food by freezing everything than you would be allowing it all to warm up to room temperature, the unit will go into a constant cool mode. The best way to know if that is what has happened is to measure the temperature inside of the chill box area. I would place a glass of water on both the top shelf and the bottom one. Leave that water for 6 to 8 hours and then check the temperature with an accurate thermometer. It typically will be colder at the bottom, but neither one should be frozen. If they are, it indicates a constant cool mode.

I really don't know how one can be sure that the cooling is on all of the time unless you actually sit and watch it for at least 6 or 8 hours. That is one of those things which is pretty difficult to know for sure. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived