High School Daughter Enrolling in Northstar Academy Online School- Anyone with experience with this?

TotallyTrailer

This is my first post here and we are just getting started on our fulltime adventure and we have a very bright 15 year old. We are enrolling her in the online school Northstar Acadamy and wondered if anyone has any experience with this school or what their high schooler was doing on the road.

She is a go-getter so I want her to be challenged too :)

Any insight would be great and we can't wait to meet other traveling families on our journey!

Welcome to the forums!

I hope some of the folks here can help you out, my kid is turning 33 soon so I can't help with the school question.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'm not familiar with it, but I just want to caution you about using an online academy while traveling because access to the internet can be so unreliable when you're on the road. Do you have a method of reliable internet access, no matter where you will be traveling? What is the academy's policy with regards to making up work due to internet access issues? On a more personal note, are you willing to give up academic autonomy and be tied to the online academy schedule, even if it disrupts you travel plans? Lots to think about.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

First of all, welcome to the Escapees forums! We are happy to have you join in and we will do all that we are able to help you.

The first thing that I would want to verify is the accreditation of the school. Here is a US News article about accreditation of online colleges which may help as I don't find the subject addressing high schools. You do want to be sure that she will be able to gain entrance into the major colleges and universities after she completes her current courses. I did find this accreditation information from the site About Education as well that may be helpful. Another internet site that I think you may find to be helpful is Families on the Road which addresses the education issues.

We don't yet have a lot of members here who do what you are planning, but we are making an effort to grow that side of the Escapee organization, so please do stay an active part of our community and share what you learn and your experiences with others here. We do have a vast resource of RV related information and experience so are probably better equipped to assist in those areas, but we need your help to increase our resources in the home school and travel with children side of RVing.

Thank you for visiting us and please do become a regular contributor here! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the feedback Kirk, Kinsa and Stanley! I used to be a teacher, so I understand the accreditation aspect and they are fully accredited and I also called two of the colleges she wants to attend and verified their accreditation with the colleges as well (just to double check and confirm). I've heard there are a lot of scam online high schools that are not accredited, and appreciate the info :)

The internet access was also something we were considering but the academy allows her to download the entire course, so she doesn't need constant internet access and can work offline when needed. The flexibility was definitely a plus.

Thanks for the warm welcome and we are happy to contribute and share our lessons learned :)

Thanks for the feedback Kirk, Kinsa and Stanley! I used to be a teacher, so I understand the accreditation aspect and they are fully accredited and I also called two of the colleges she wants to attend and verified their accreditation with the colleges as well (just to double check and confirm). I've heard there are a lot of scam online high schools that are not accredited, and appreciate the info :)

The internet access was also something we were considering but the academy allows her to download the entire course, so she doesn't need constant internet access and can work offline when needed. The flexibility was definitely a plus.

Thanks for the warm welcome and we are happy to contribute and share our lessons learned :)

Then I think that sounds like a great situation for you! I've never heard of an online academy that allowed you to download entire courses. How helpful while traveling!

(And I just thought I'd mention that colleges do accept homeschoolers who never had anything to do with accredited schools. I've managed to get three, so far, homeschooled kids into college - two private colleges and one public university - without ever using an accredited anything.)

Edited because I apparently can't type worth a darn.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived