Slide out not closing correctly

prowler

Hi There ,

Our 2003 Fleetwood Prowler 27ft with one large slide has got a problem coming in .

Press the switch and it will move a little bit then the electric motor trips out and you

have to keep pressing the switch 20 times to finally get it in .

I took the switch out and touched the wires direct to the power and it made no difference

Is there like a voltage or thermal overload on the motor that makes it trip out ???

When the slide does start to move, it comes in even and I have lubed it with lithium spray on

grease . I have the truck power connected to 5ver when trying so it gets max voltage

Thanks Brownie

Hi Brownie

Not a Prowler owner but I'll share how I'd approach your issue.

You removed the switch, how many tabs were on the switch? If 3, I'd look for a slide motor controller in the basement area. (Slides controlled directly by switch need both power and ground to be switched DPDT, SPDT needs an alternative means to switch the other motor lead so look for the controller) When found look for a torque potentiometer. Note its position and turn it (most likely) clockwise to up the torque cutout limit. (1/8th to 1/16th turns at a time)

If the switch has 5 tabs I'd measure the voltage and ground resistance. If there is resistance or the voltage is low find & solve the wiring issue. If they are good then I'd look under the trailer for sufficient frame clearance where the slide rails etc. penetrate the frame to confirm there is no rub.

The slide maker and type (Hyd., gearmotor, screwdrive, or cable driven) would be helpful. I am assuming some form of mechanical drive for the above suggestions.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Before you do any electrical adjustment or repair, make very sure that there is no mechanical reason for this problem. It sounds like your problem is torque related as the SCClockDr has suggested, but increasing torque has risk if you should have some mechanical problem. I agree with his assessment that you don't have a motor with thermal overload because it usually takes a bit for that to get hot enough to open and then a few minutes for it to cool back down and close afterward.

I don't have a lot of slide repair experience but do have a lot of electrical/mechanical service experience and based upon that it sure sounds like a torque issue, but it could also be some sort of bind that goes away as soon as the slide moves. The key is to work very carefully and avoid making your problem worse than it is now. If you were to post the make and type of slide mechanism that you have, there is a good chance that someone here will have experience working with them. Is this a screw dive, hydraulic drive, or something else?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On our fifth wheel the large slide motor also stalls during closing. The motor is getting weak and the gears are showing some wear, so for now I go outside and push on the slide while the wife engages the switch and it will work fine. This is our temp fix until I get a motor and gear set ordered.

Greg

Also plugged into the truck is next tn nothing or no help very lil current goes to battery,,Before you do anything check the voltage on your battery. My guess is it drops to zilch as soon as you activate switch.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Thanks for quick reply .......it is a rack and pinion type mechanisim , The switch is a 3 wire, has one electric motor in the middle with shafts out either side.... cannot see brand name sorry .......Have checked for stones etc and or binding and everything looks good. The tourque setting is sounding right will just have to figure how to adjust .....have checked voltage when pressing switch ....OK ...... and yes it will still struggle to close with me pushing on it and the Bride pushing the switch .....it also struggles to pull it up tight against the seal when fully closed ...Brownie

As Jim said above......batteries are the most common slide problem cause. Yes you might well have 12v at the switch and motor but low or bad batteries just do not have the power to operate a slide or leveling feet. How old is your battery? Water levels OK? Use jumper cables from the truck to the battery to see if the slide will work. The wire in the truck to RV cable will charge a battery over many hours but not operate a slide or feet. I'd suggest you look into the battery before you do any slide adjustments. Greg

Also....the converter will not supply sufficient power to operate slides and feet. Check the battery.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

If you are able, monitor the voltage at the point where it connects to the motor, or as closely as possible while your bride pushes the switch. If possible see what the voltage is doing before the motor stops but it may be too fast for you to be sure. If the voltage drops dramatically when the motor tries to turn, that could mean a mechanical problem that is stalling the motor.

When you say that it drops out, am I correct that you mean the power to the motor shuts off?

, I'd look for a slide motor controller in the basement area. (Slides controlled directly by switch need both power and ground to be switched DPDT, SPDT needs an alternative means to switch the other motor lead so look for the controller) When found look for a torque potentiometer. Note its position and turn it (most likely) clockwise to up the torque cutout limit. (1/8th to 1/16th turns at a time

Did yours turn the motor off when set too low? Might be a current sensing device since motor current rises when loading increases. If you could post a picture of the controller that you have, it might also help Lynx.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Measuring the voltage @ the motor is a great idea.

Now to understand what your readings mean:

• Volts abruptly drops to zero stopping movement.
    • Classic Symptom of expected controller behavior due to torque limiting cutout.
  • Slide stops as volts sag but stay above 11.6VDC
    • This points to a mechanical issue.
      • Suspect a side to side out of sync issue racking the slide causing a bind that releases when the force is eliminated as the switch is released.
      • A seal getting jammed.
      • An object trapped between the slide floor and the main floor
      • Worn drive gear or motor bearings.
  • Slide stops as volts sag & go below 11.6VDC
    • Electrical issue likely
      • Poor connection/s
      • Bad battery
      • Too small of wire
      • Controller board issue

To find the controller, if it uses a relay to interrupt power on over torque then with your assistant controlling the switch go into the basement and listen for the relay.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Slide out 12 volt supply line on my last trailer (Heartland Landmark fiver) with hydraulic slides had a circuit breaker that would trip after a few seconds of slide movement. Wait a few seconds and then bring slides a little more - then it would trip again. Took several tries to get slides in (or out). Replaced the breaker and all was good. I believe those breakers grow weaker after they have been tripped a few times.

Yours may not have a breaker but worth checking.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Archived