Any S.C. HDT owners?

HD_RIDER

I've got a couple in South Carolina that are interested in my rig, and have run into a maze trying to get some straight answers from their license agency. What seems to be determined is no CDL required, but either a class "E" or "F" is required. They are trying to follow up on that but so far just get referrals to state codes. That's well & fine, but some real world experience would be helpful in understanding, so I thought I'd inquire here.

Things that sounded complicated for Indiana actually turned out to be quite easy for me a few years ago, so I'm hoping similar results can be found for them. That which will be required for him to be legal in South Carolina will greatly impact how they move forward on this, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jess

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben

2001 Volvo 610, Cummins N14;10 speed; ET Hitch
2007 KZ New Vision Sportster 37FK;
1992 TourGlide Ultra w/ California Sidecar
NRA Life Member

Jess, try contacting sclord2002 or better yet have them come to the ECR as I under sclord will be there.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Jess, try contacting sclord2002 or better yet have them come to the ECR as I under sclord will be there.

Thanks, I'll pass that information on to them.

Jess

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

I just looked at www.drivinglaws.aaa.com. For SC, it states there that "Class E vehicles are non-commercial single unit vehicles that do NOT exceed 26,000 lbs GVW". I think any HDT will exceed that weight (I believe the Federal definition of a Class 7 HDT is a weight rating between 26,001 ~ 33,000 lbs GVWR. Class 8 HDT is 33,001 and up GVWR). It goes on to state that "Class F vehicles are non-commercial combination vehicles that exceed 26,000 lbs GVW".

I was surprised to see that many stated now allow "regular" drivers to operate vehicles up to 26,000 lbs GVW on a "standard" driver's license.

Jess, I live in SC and had to get a Class F license. i was able to register my Volvo 780 as a motorhome. The class F test is the same as the CDL test except that the pre trip inspection is not as long.....driving test is exactly the same as CDL test. I guess the alley docking procedure was the most intimidating part but with some practice, it wasn't too difficult. You do not need a physical for the class F...just an eye test at DMV. Let me know if you have more questions. Be safe, Charlie.

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Jess, I live in SC and had to get a Class F license. i was able to register my Volvo 780 as a motorhome. The class F test is the same as the CDL test except that the pre trip inspection is not as long.....driving test is exactly the same as CDL test. I guess the alley docking procedure was the most intimidating part but with some practice, it wasn't too difficult. You do not need a physical for the class F...just an eye test at DMV. Let me know if you have more questions. Be safe, Charlie.

Thanks for the information, Charlie. I forwarded your email address to them (They are members of Escapees), so you will probably hear from them. My Volvo is already titled as an RV in Indiana, so if they decide they want it, it should be an easier transfer to motorhome in South Carolina, I would think. They have a pretty good grasp by now of what is involved in getting a Class F license, but it can seem less intimidating once you talk to someone whose been through it. Part of the problem is the logistics: the rig is in Indiana, but he has to take the test with it in South Carolina before he can be licensed to drive it. One step at a time, while they are obviously interested, they haven't actually committed to buying either unit yet.

Jess

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

Jes, I bought our 610 from Bob in minn. It was titled as a motorhome. I had him fax me a copy of the title and took it to DMV. They said they would recognize it as a M/H. That was 5 years ago. If he has ?'s send him a copy of the title and see what SC says. I was stationed in Charleston for 2 yrs in 77 to 79. Historic place. Hope you can work things out. Will he be at the ECR? We'll be leaving in the morning early I hope. If he gets there site 327. Be safe and God Bless. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived