Title/License experience-Alaska

Larry&Donna-AK

My first attempt to the DMV to license & title our new truck was not successful. The counter person was not comfortable with the non commerical application for our truck because of the weight. She went to the Supervisor where he asked if we had Photograph. We showed photos of trucks from a bed builder website. The Supervisor with only a visual said "Commercial",no conversation or explaination (he was a jerk) and denied our Motorhome application.

At this moment we had an "Oh Crap, What now" moment and left the DMV with our head down and tail between our legs. Planning to visit a different DMV the next day.

That night we visited with some friends and during our conversation it was suggested "Why not take your information to the State Commercial Vehicle Enforcement office and get thier opinion?"

Couldn't hurt! We met with an Officer and explained our case and our intended use, with full agreement that our truck was a Non Commercial Vehicle but they could not confirm the Motorhome status(not their area of expertise). We left the Office with their commitment they would back us and was happy that half the battle was won.

Armed with our information we went to a different DMV because I was pretty sure that supervisor was the type of person that may hold grudge if proven wrong.

The next DMV we presented all our information... EASY - Paid our fees for our Motorhome. :)

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I lost a couple nights sleep worrying before I went to the RMV in MA. Turns out it was super easy, but I was so stressed they might refuse to register it as a RV....

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Glad you got that sorted out. I would have thought the dealer would have taken care of the registration being a new truck.

Nigel

Maybe they could if I wasn't from Alaska. When I bought our Smart from a dealer in AZ the dealer wouldn't or couldn't License in Alaska also.

All is good, now all we have to do is have the Truck delivered and pay the dealership. But we own it ;)

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Persistence pays off and I know you're relieved to get that behind you like we were a few months back . . . congrats Larry!

You are perfectly correct. My complete purchasing process has been to prove and document our new Truck is "Non-Commercial Not for Hire"...Albeit a worry some process. So far, So good! :)

Glad you got that sorted out. I would have thought the dealer would have taken care of the registration being a new truck.

Nigel

Maybe they could if I wasn't from Alaska. When I bought our Smart from a dealer in AZ the dealer wouldn't or couldn't License in Alaska also.

That is normal if you purchase in a state different from where you are going to register the vehicle. My buddy use to have to do the same when he had a job that was all travel. About 50k a year. So every few years he would buy a new vehicle. So when he would find the one he wanted at the price he wanted, regardless of state he would buy it then have to schedule a trip home so that he could register it.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Before I retired I was with an auto transport business. We would quite often pick up new vehicles (usually leased) already plated to deliver out of province. I don't know how they did it unless they used an agent to do the licensing and courier the plates and ownership for the dealer to install. I would think a dealer could do well specializing in out of state sales offering that kind of service, much like Gregg does with the trucks.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Archived