Mounted my 10" Dash Display

bmzero

Here's what I did to mount my 10" display in the dash. My number one objective was to have it solidly mounted to the truck. It drives me nuts for things to shake going down the road. No shaking with this mount! Maybe that's a sign of OCD. The second major objective was to make the bracket was non-destructive, and make it secure using existing chassis holes.

Here are the two pieces of the mount I built.

669f6c24-482d-4413-ac5f-43f2ae3e61b5-s.j

View High Resolution Photo

Here's the part of the dash chassis that it bolts to.

0e584bfa-2634-4c20-af18-9394a26dbd4e-s.j

Here is the chassis plate bolted to the dash chassis.

a583aa98-b07a-4d90-bf98-4cc7ef93d8b4-s.j

Here is the monitor arm bolted to the dash chassis plate.

89c8c252-5fe9-4b7b-9b4f-95c9029e001e-s.j

All mounted up.

fbbd33ce-bfc8-4ecb-8c85-a92e34cc63eb-s.j

Showing some UFC!

c697fd4a-7cc0-4706-8dce-2f590e42e483-s.j

I think I should be able to get at least one of the 3 megapixel CCD cameras connected to the POE network before leaving for the ECR. I'm going to point it at the hitch. More POE cameras will be added eventually. I would like to show a grid of four (both sides, hitch, and rear of trailer) on the monitor. I will also have a front facing "dash" cam that will be recording at all times.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Do you already have a wired network in the truck for other goodies? Are you writing a custom application to handle the camera switching, recording, etc? What type of user input method are you using to change the display? Hardware buttons or touchscreen?

As you might trll, this is project peaked my interest!

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

Zero,

Hate to tell you this.......your OCD has blinded you son........

Look closely at your images # 3 & #4.........the placard clearly states "WARRANTY VOID IF OPENED" now the Volvo gods have the pics and your toast son.......

Zero we are worried about you son........even Henry in his "Save the world"younger days needed at least 4 to 5 hours sleep a week.......

Now if those pics were of a Freightshaker everyone would just say oh well the guy just drove it 500 miles without take some time to put the dash screws back in that shooock out.......

You do nice work and IF I had a display that nice I would seldom look out the windshield......

OK kid get some shut-eye.....

Drive on..........(Better vids than the ......NSA)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Do you already have a wired network in the truck for other goodies? Are you writing a custom application to handle the camera switching, recording, etc? What type of user input method are you using to change the display? Hardware buttons or touchscreen?

As you might trll, this is project peaked my interest!

I am using one of these to handle the recording - http://www.amazon.com/Eyesurv-Series-ESDV-NVRION-8-Channel-Cameras/dp/B00FJHI9UM. It has a remote with it that allows switching the cameras, but I will probably leave it on the grid of four most of the time. This recorder uses a 12V input source. For the switch, I'm using one of these (http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2). Unfortunately, I was not able to find a good POE switch that worked with 12V, so I bought one of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-Converter-12V-to-48V-3A-144W-Step-Up-Boost-Power-Supply-Module-Car-/262160200064) to attempt to convert the voltage. I have not tried this part of the system yet. If it doesn't work well, I can always power on the inverter to run the switch.

These are the cameras I'm using - http://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HFW4300S-Eco-Savvy-Weatherproof-Security/dp/B00H2VSTG2

Zero,

Hate to tell you this.......your OCD has blinded you son........

Look closely at your images # 3 & #4.........the placard clearly states "WARRANTY VOID IF OPENED" now the Volvo gods have the pics and your toast son.......

Zero we are worried about you son........even Henry in his "Save the world"younger days needed at least 4 to 5 hours sleep a week.......

Now if those pics were of a Freightshaker everyone would just say oh well the guy just drove it 500 miles without take some time to put the dash screws back in that shooock out.......

You do nice work and IF I had a display that nice I would seldom look out the windshield......

OK kid get some shut-eye.....

Drive on..........(Better vids than the ......NSA)

Ha ha. Technically speaking, I did not open that piece. ;-) That's the axle temp gauge housing. I put it back in it's original location, behind the monitor. Maybe they won't notice.

Did the same thing/same place when I built Phoenix. Mine's a 12" ELO touchscreen. Wired to face either driver or moveable to pass side dash quick mount. You're gonna' need a little sunshade on it, and probably some way of dimming it at night. I used smoke plexiglass over it.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Did the same thing/same place when I built Phoenix. Mine's a 12" ELO touchscreen. Wired to face either driver or moveable to pass side dash quick mount. You're gonna' need a little sunshade on it, and probably some way of dimming it at night. I used smoke plexiglass over it.

I do plan on building an aluminum shade for it at some point. Not sure that'll be before the rally, though.

The display has a brightness setting that should work well for dimming it at night.

I wanted the touchscreen (on a 7" Lilliput) to work, but it didn't function well with my DVR. I doubt I'll need to interact with it too much anyway. The DVR remote should work well for that.

Brit As always two pieces of metal sure look like art to me. Keep it up and and I'll get to see it at the ECR that is just around the corner. I will sure be glad when I hit the road for the ECR cause then I can relax. It will be done or not!! So see you soon. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived