New to motor home! Is there guide to checking electrical hook ups at campgrounds?

cluwood56

Get you a good surge protector like a Progressive Industries. It will check the campground hookup, show you a display, and not allow power to enter your RV. We always turn off the circuit breaker at the campground pedestal before plugging in to it, and when un-plugging. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

I don't know of any printed material on how to check an RV pedestal, but there are fairly frequent discussions of that sort of thing on these forums about it. There is a good explanation of how to do this on You Tube, but the brand is not critical and all of the tests that he suggests can be done with the multi meter, but the explanation of meter use is very good. He also checked for proper polarity when he demonstrated that only the left pin of the 20a & 30a outlets was hot and that the two on each side of the 50a were the only ones hot.

I do agree with the previous post that a surge protector is also a good thing to have, it is important to note that a surge protector is only part of the job and what the link shows is a line monitor device that does much more than to protect you from surges but also has both over and under voltage protection, as well is improper ground or neutral protections. In addition to that one, Surge Guard - TRC also makes an excellent product. Another such product is made by Roy's RV Electrical, but I don't know anyone who uses it, while I do know users of both of the other two and I have used a Surge Guard portable for many years and with excellent service.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Get you a good surge protector like a Progressive Industries. It will check the campground hookup, show you a display, and not allow power to enter your RV. We always turn off the circuit breaker at the campground pedestal before plugging in to it, and when un-plugging. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Safe travels. :)

I agree and that is what I had installed on our new rig. Besides visually looking to make sure that the condition is solid, I use and trust our Progressive Industries unit.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived