Kwikee steps stop working

My electric steps on my 04 Teton fifth wheel stopped working the other day. They were out and I was the first one in line to get on the Cedar Island to Ocracoke ferry. Couldn't have happened at a better spot. I couldn't get them to work so I had to unhook them and tie them up.

They had stopped working before and I thought it was the switch. I had an extra one that I put on but that didn't help anything. The power was going all the way to the plug on the motor. I researched and read other peoples fixes and decided to take the motor off. I was hoping I could find one relatively easily as it appears to only be a car power widow winder. After I had it off I plugged it up and it worked fine. I found some rust in there and decided maybe it was stuck like someone else said. Cleaned it all up and greased it up nicely and put it back on. It worked fine. Then I shook the wires and it quit again. So I took it back apart again and it looked just like this guy said in this video.

I didn't think he knew what he was talking about until I took it back apart and examined it. I don't think the female plug was meant to be used with flat male blades. So I twisted the blades like he suggested in this video. It didn't plug in near as easily as before. It didn't affect it to shake the wires. I think this has fixed it.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Dually 5.9 CTD 48RE 373 Rear

2004 Teton Experience Frontier

Very interesting. I have had an on again off again problem with my steps. We never know what they are going to do. I have found that the problem seemed to be in the 4 wire plug but after checking and rechecking it, I never found anything concrete. But the step would almost always go back to working after jiggling those wires. I am now wondering if by jiggling those wires, it might also have jiggled the wires at the motor as described in the video. I will check it out for sure. Thanks for posting.

Ray

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

I'd have to look closely at the female connector before twisting the male connector to 30-40 degrees. 40 degrees is a pretty steep angle. I think I would start with 15-20 degrees and increase as needed. A lot would depend on just what the female connector looked like it would take w/o damaging the connector.

Excellent suggestion, otherwise.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived