Toterhome Auxiliary Electrical Overview

Jack Mayer

For those interested in such things, here is a high level design layout - including major components - I did for an HDT being used primarily as a toterhome. It has all the same things in it as an RV. So I thought there might be some interest in the components and system sizing.

LINK to picture

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, I really like how you integrated everything under the monitoring and control of the ARC-50. Very nice.

I am a little puzzled trying to figure out why two 30 amp circuits to the inverter - i know you have a good reason but I give up.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jack, I really like how you integrated everything under the monitoring and control of the ARC-50. Very nice.

I am a little puzzled trying to figure out why two 30 amp circuits to the inverter - i know you have a good reason but I give up.

I'm guessing the inverter will accept 240V/30A, to be able to drive the (inverter-fed) House 120V loads while also delivering charge current to the battery bank. The two 30A circuits denote that it's fed from 240V, and probably also signify that the 240V/50A shore power connection has a >=20A/20A margin for the remaining (non-inverter-fed) House 120V loads.

I'm guessing the inverter will accept 240V/30A, to be able to drive the (inverter-fed) House 120V loads while also delivering charge current to the battery bank. The two 30A circuits denote that it's fed from 240V, and probably also signify that the 240V/50A shore power connection has a >=20A/20A margin for the remaining (non-inverter-fed) House 120V loads.

That was my guess too but didn't think Magnum had that feature in the 12vdc product line. Jack will enlighten us.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

The inverter can transfer 60 amps. Either as two 30's or a single 60. Except if you have a 50 amp input you cannot do a single 60 - you have two legs of 50. So the two 30's gets you your maximum power feeding the subpanel.

OK, I should have looked at that drawing closer before posting it. The original was done for a different inverter - actually a prototype that never was produced. So I'll amend the drawing to show a 50 amp single line. Ignore the dual 30's. (But you get the concept) Sorry about the confusion. The drawing is updated.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Should there be an isolator to prevent the start batteries discharging under house loads or does the parallel solenoid somehow cover that?

It is covered by the Ample Power stuff.....There are other versions of smart regulators that can be used. In this case the Ample product was specified, but there are certainly others. If I can find the initial Bill of Materials I'll link to it. That provides pricing and references to parts.

OK, if curious here are "some" of the parts. Mainly the major parts. Many can be acquired locally, but I list online references. Many can be obtained cheaper elsewhere if you search. In addition, this specified the narrower Grape solar panels, but typically I'd use Sunpower Mono panels in the 300 watt+ range if I could. But space constraints sometimes drives design decisions. This is just the listing - the design document has the details in it.

I'm posting this for the "curious". It is not necessarily a design that would meet someone else's requirements. I caution against just "using" this without considering the specific circumstances of a particular implementation.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived