Looking for help with our 2015 Taxes

Altonymous

Our normally routine tax prep has been complicated for 2015 by selling a sticks and bricks home, changing domicile state, selling several vehicles, buying another, buying an RV and going full-time on the road.. Does anyone have any recommendations for help with tax preparation? Bonus for tax prep in Texas near Houston/Livingston.

Thanks!

For $30 at Amazon.com you can download a copy of Turbo Tax 2015 that will walk you through everything you mentioned. After using Turbo Tax and you still feel uncomfortable you can still seek professional help.

There also is a free online Turbo Tax which may do everything you need.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The events you describe - if all in your personal name - are relatively minor in nature (from a tax perspective). Using a tax prep program will easily handle those without undue "stress" on your life. I now hate Turbo Tax since they screwed customers over last year in their pricing models. However, it does work well. I personally now use HR Block which is cheaper and easier to use (IMO). Either one will easily handle the events you describe.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I also think that all of the tax matters you listed above are not difficult and Turbo Tax will do a good job for you.

What I like about Turbo Tax is that once you install it on your PC it pulls the information for prior years and it only takes me one half hour to complete

my tax return. On my current PC I have 9 years of Turbo Tax. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Like others, we have used Turbo Tax for probably 10-15 years. Just look at the back of the package and see which "one" you need. I believe there are 4 different package's of options.

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

I used TurboTax for at least 12 or 14 years (and with situations more complicated that what you describe) - worked well. Two years ago they changed their pricing structure and ticked me off (wanted to use another word but didn't want to get censored). Anyway, have used the H&R Block software the last two years - including last year when we did all of the things you listed - and it worked really well for us. I filed the first week of February and within two weeks or so both the Federal and SC refunds were deposited to my account.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

2015 was our big year which included retiring, changing states (Texas in the end), selling house and buying RV. We chose to use a CPA due to the State tax question during our transition to Texas. Message me if you are interested in the CPA we are using in Stafford, Tx (Houston).

Archived