Alaska camping

krob

Today in the Anchorage Daily news is an article about a proposal to ban camping in Commercial lots (walmart, Cabelas, etc.) I can't post a link but go to and.com to read about it. I contacted the editor already. if you do please keep it business like!

This is the reply I received from him.

Devin Kelly
5:01 PM (4 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Hi Kenny, thanks so much for writing -- rest assured, we'll be following this too. Judging from the reaction I've been seeing today, it's got a long ways to go.
Best,
Devin

15 years ago I was at Whitehorse on the way to AK. They had just open a new WalMart We were staying at a campground. We couldn't find a place to park at WalMart to go shopping. 40 days later we came back that way and the town had ban parking at WalMart and even taped off a lot next to walmart. People had chairs out, slides out and grills.

2008 Allegro Bay

2007 Honda CR-V

A couple years ago when we had to have service done on our coach in Whitehorse, we went shopping at the Walmart. It was the worst looking parking lot we've ever seen. Really run down trailers which were obviously set up permanently, with plywood attached as skirts, all kinds of trashy stuff around the units. One of the Walmart employees said the people would come into the store to use the bathrooms, and to use the sinks to wash, going so far as one guy standing naked in the bathroom trying to bathe from a sink. On that trip we ran into others who had the same impression. Have no idea if it's the same or not, but it was pretty bad.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

We were In Whitehorse the summer of 2014. Wally's parking lot was busy with RV parking. Sure there were a couple of rough looking rigs there, Didn't bother us and after using an RV Park in White horse for a couple of days on the way north and checking out another while in town, guess what we did for a night on the way back south? Wally docked for a night. Trying to jam us into a too small site, over priced etc., had me the first time but not the second. I had a friend that broke down coming from Skagway to Whitehorse in 2014, the tow company that that was based in Whitehorse dropped his rig in the Wally lot as the truck, fiver and tow truck couldn't even dream of getting in a Whitehorse RV park.

We were In Whitehorse the summer of 2014. Wally's parking lot was busy with RV parking. Sure there were a couple of rough looking rigs there, Didn't bother us and after using an RV Park in White horse for a couple of days on the way north and checking out another while in town, guess what we did for a night on the way back south? Wally docked for a night. Trying to jam us into a too small site, over priced etc., had me the first time but not the second. I had a friend that broke down coming from Skagway to Whitehorse in 2014, the tow company that that was based in Whitehorse dropped his rig in the Wally lot as the truck, fiver and tow truck couldn't even dream of getting in a Whitehorse RV park.

That's not the case when we camped in the private park just outside Whitehorse. We were a group of 13 rigs, the longest of which was 75', ours was only 50'. Sounds like the tow truck driver just found the easiest place to unload their rig. Yes, that CG is very tight, but what the hey, it's just a stopping place enroute to AK. We were not there to sit outside the rig and visit. We drove all through Whitehorse, saw a lot of very interesting things.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived