Blocking Microsoft Silverlight Updates

TomMarik

I've been getting pop ups for updating "Microsoft Silverlight Update" about once a week.

I don't have Microsoft Silverlight on my MacBook Pro and don't want it.

How can I block pop-ups for these up dates without blocking other update reminders?

2004 Peterbilt 385

2004 New Horizon 41 foot fiver

One Trek for chores and one for fun

Why are some settings unavailable?

Certain computer configurations can disable features of the Silverlight auto-updater. The following sections describe the configurations in which the specified options are not available.

"Install updates automatically" option not available
If you are using Windows Vista and User Account Control (UAC) is enabled, then Silverlight will require your permission to download and install updates. Silverlight asks for your permission to update by showing you a prompt when updates are found. Because a prompt is required, updates cannot be installed automatically, so the Install updates automatically option is disabled. You can still receive updates by selecting the Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them option or by using Microsoft Update to update Silverlight and other Microsoft products.
"Install updates automatically" and "Check for updates" options not available
The Microsoft Silverlight auto-update feature depends on several Microsoft Windows components being up to date. If these components are outdated then you will not be able to select either of the auto-update options. You can enable automatic updates by visiting Microsoft Update and installing any critical updates which you are missing.

If you have installed all critical updates and these options are still not enabled, then you will need to uninstall Silverlight and then install the latest version from the Silverlight Web site. This will enable the installer to properly configure the Silverlight updater to use the updated components.
All update options not available
A computer administrator can configure the Silverlight auto-updater for all users. This configuration will disable the Updates tab of the Microsoft Silverlight Configuration dialog box to prevent individual users from ignoring the administrator’s setting. See the Silverlight Enterprise Deployment Guide to learn more about how to set the auto-update configuration for all users.
Turning off automatic updates

The Microsoft Silverlight auto-update feature helps make sure that your computer is up-to-date. Disabling the auto-update feature will prevent Microsoft from providing you with the latest Silverlight functionality and security features. If you decide not to use the auto-update feature, you must download the latest Silverlight updates by enrolling in Microsoft Update or periodically visiting the Silverlight Web site.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Thank you.

However, I have the Mac OS X 10.10.5 operating system on my MacBook Pro.

The window pops up when I'm using Safari 9.0.3 as my browser.

I check for updates at the Apple store manually.

I have no Windows or Microsoft software.

This makes me suspect phishing so I just close the pop-up window.

2004 Peterbilt 385

You are correct to suspect phishing, a pop-up window will never appear for windows updates, even on windows computers. Updates only occur through the Windows Update program. I got one not to long ago for Adobe Flash and it was very authentic looking. You must be very careful these days, the crooks are getting very smart.

I thought so. I tolerate pop-up windows from my banks and some very familiar security questions.

I'll continue to close widows for updates and update software on my schedule

Thank you.

2004 Peterbilt 385

I never click a provided link or pop-up now, it's a great way to get something bad on my computer. A couple years ago I did click on a pop-up as it stated. Within minutes my computer had a mind of its own. Turned out to be the Binky virus, a real chore to eliminate completely. I tried several anti-virus programs, the only ones that worked were Malwarebytes Junkware Removal Tool, and Malwarebytes basic. JRT first because Binky would not allow Malwarebytes basic to run until JRT removed whatever was holding basic hostage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived