Always be sure your trailer is securely attachec to tow vehicle!

Al F

An RVing couple towing a 2016 trailer watched as their $100,000 rig was turned into confetti by a freight train in Clermont Harbor, Miss. The 38-foot rig came loose from the tow rig as it crossed over a railroad track. The couple struggled to reattach the rig, but couldn't get the job done before the oncoming train totaled their coach. Happily, no one was hurt, and the truck was clear of the tracks when the accident occurred.

Thanks to www.RVTravel.com news letter for the above info.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The procedure we use before heading out...
After connecting the 5th wheel hitch(with the wheel chocks are still in place) we lift the front levelers about 1" off the ground and try to "pull" the truck away from the trailer. If the connection was faulty, the most the trailer would drop would be 1". This test has saved us twice in 11 years, but glad we test EVERY time.
Sorry to learn of their misfortune but glad nobody was hurt.

Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

The procedure we use before heading out...

After connecting the 5th wheel hitch(with the wheel chocks are still in place) we lift the front levelers about 1" off the ground and try to "pull" the truck away from the trailer. If the connection was faulty, the most the trailer would drop would be 1". This test has saved us twice in 11 years, but glad we test EVERY time.

Sorry to learn of their misfortune but glad nobody was hurt.

Mark

e

The "pull test" should be considered mandatory for anyone towing a fifth wheel. Couple that with physically looking at the hitch jaws to see if they are fully engaged around pin and you are not "high hitched".

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Pull test. Flashlight inspection of hitch jaws. Visual inspection of disconnect lever to ensure it is in the correct position. EVERY TIME...even if just moving sites in a campground.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I saw a truck driver hook up to his trailer, didn't do a pull test or check to see if the king pin was securely locked, and proceeded to drive away. He was fine because of the weight of the trailer, until he tried to turn out of the truck stop. While making the turn the trailer just slid right off the hitch. When I drove by I noticed the seals on the doors which told me he probably had a load of computers, or some other high dollar load. He didn't look very happy.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I once towed my cargo trailer about 45 miles, turned into my other house, and the trailer simply dropped away from the ball. Apparently the ball was not fully into the socket when I locked the latch, only the safety chains were guiding the trailer behind my dually. Sure glad that happened when it did, instead of while I was at highway speed!. Now, if I can't see the hitch is correct I feel for a proper latch/lock-every time. Always get grease on my hand, but it washes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Pull test. Flashlight inspection of hitch jaws. Visual inspection of disconnect lever to ensure it is in the correct position. EVERY TIME...even if just moving sites in a campground.

X2 !!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived