Tow Dollies

BUGOUT20162018

I have some experience much like the above post but have not used a dolly behind a motorhome. I don't understand what you mean by "tandem tow" but wonder if you mean a trailer with the Harley and a dolly behind that with the car?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have used a couple to shuttle vehicles around. One I pulled from west central Ohio to NE Minnesota with a Dodge Caravan on it, and one I took my VW Jetta to my son's house in NW Wisconsin and brought his Jetta back. They towed just fine and I had zero problems with either one. Just remember, going backwards with them gets real tough!!

MnTom is very much on the money regarding backing up a tow dolly behind a motor home......

Without getting too "engneerizish" the real problem with almost all motor home / toads is that the dynamics tend get ugly from the motor home 'tail-swing" dynamics that is often beneficial when moving forward but becomes very a "non-linier-dynamic" when backing up......in other words the large tailswing tends to quickly jack-knife the short car dolly hitch arm (stinger) ........bad juju....in formal engineering terms......

Kirk has been to many "RV-rodeo's" and so he has seen a lot of things "hit-the-dust" and so his cut on this subject likely seems spot on.....

Now could "Grumps" back u the car dolly ........... oh ya he could .........but that would be another story so best just do as MnTom & Kirk suggests.....,

Drive on.........(Our Dolly is a .......Paint Horse ( she backs up just fine))

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I have some experience much like the above post but have not used a dolly behind a motorhome. I don't understand what you mean by "tandem tow" but wonder if you mean a trailer with the Harley and a dolly behind that with the car?

No; they make a tow dolly that is longer than normal and it has room in front of where the car sits for a motorcycle to sit cross wise. In reality we'll probably end up with just a std. dolly; legs are getting to old and weak for the Harley....

thanks

MnTom is very much on the money regarding backing up a tow dolly behind a motor home......

Without getting too "engneerizish" the real problem with almost all motor home / toads is that the dynamics tend get ugly from the motor home 'tail-swing" dynamics that is often beneficial when moving forward but becomes very a "non-linier-dynamic" when backing up......in other words the large tailswing tends to quickly jack-knife the short car dolly hitch arm (stinger) ........bad juju....in formal engineering terms......

Kirk has been to many "RV-rodeo's" and so he has seen a lot of things "hit-the-dust" and so his cut on this subject likely seems spot on.....

Now could "Grumps" back u the car dolly ........... oh ya he could .........but that would be another story so best just do as MnTom & Kirk suggests.....,

Drive on.........(Our Dolly is a .......Paint Horse ( she backs up just fine))

I've heard horror stories about how poorly constructed they are and people have had to have the dollies frame aligned because of excessive tire wear....Thanks

No; they make a tow dolly that is longer than normal and it has room in front of where the car sits for a motorcycle to sit cross wise. In reality we'll probably end up with just a std. dolly; legs are getting to old and weak for the Harley....

thanks

You know Harley makes a Trike that will fit on the double dolly.

Not much needed to hold up with old legs. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

thanks

I used a tow dolly for 2 years before I got my new toad. I was towing a 2012 Civic. They do work for those cars you can't tow 4 down. You didn't say what car you are going to tow. Just be aware that some/ most all wheel drive cars can't be towed with a dolly. I have a 2014 CR-V that can be towed 4 down but not 2 down as an example.

Next not all tow dolly's are the same. So you have to pay attention on how they tell you to set up the car for towing. Also be aware that a dolly will (because of it's wide track) follow out side of the rear duels and off track quite a bit in turns. You need to watch for getting to close to curbs and even rumble strips along side the road or the little reflectors in the lane divider stripe. When you first start you will be able to see in your mire how much this is and allow for it.

The big tip of the night is how to get the straps tight. Most of the instructions tell you to pull the car all the way forward against the front stop. Well I was using a 24in 1/2 ratchet and could flatten the tiers with the pressure I was putting on the straps. Yet in a few miles when I checked one or both would be loose. The big secret is not to pull all the way forward leave about 2 in space between the tiers and the front stop. Then after you get the straps in place (before you tighten) take the car out of park. now tighten the straps. This will let the tier roll forward and take the slack out of the back side of the straps. The straps will not slide on the tier. When you are done put the car back in park.

I was towing with an Acme dolly. There are several out there but I liked the surge disk brakes. Don't get any dolly with out brakes.

http://cartowdolly.com/

If you have any questions just ask.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I used a tow dolly for 2 years before I got my new toad. I was towing a 2012 Civic. They do work for those cars you can't tow 4 down. You didn't say what car you are going to tow. Just be aware that some/ most all wheel drive cars can't be towed with a dolly. I have a 2014 CR-V that can be towed 4 down but not 2 down as an example.

Next not all tow dolly's are the same. So you have to pay attention on how they tell you to set up the car for towing. Also be aware that a dolly will (because of it's wide track) follow out side of the rear duels and off track quite a bit in turns. You need to watch for getting to close to curbs and even rumble strips along side the road or the little reflectors in the lane divider stripe. When you first start you will be able to see in your mire how much this is and allow for it.

The big tip of the night is how to get the straps tight. Most of the instructions tell you to pull the car all the way forward against the front stop. Well I was using a 24in 1/2 ratchet and could flatten the tiers with the pressure I was putting on the straps. Yet in a few miles when I checked one or both would be loose. The big secret is not to pull all the way forward leave about 2 in space between the tiers and the front stop. Then after you get the straps in place (before you tighten) take the car out of park. now tighten the straps. This will let the tier roll forward and take the slack out of the back side of the straps. The straps will not slide on the tier. When you are done put the car back in park.

I was towing with an Acme dolly. There are several out there but I liked the surge disk brakes. Don't get any dolly with out brakes.

B

Interesting the tie down issue, and yes brakes are a must; I personally prefer surge brakes but I've towed with all types. As far as the trailer tracking wider; ever since driving commercial truck I turn wide even when I'm on my Harley, lol.

Thanks, all good tips.

I used to haul my Prius on the KarKaddy II that I have. It worked fine, I now have a Jeep Liberty that I tow 4 down.

I would sell the dolly for $1200.00

It has surge brakes that work very well, new tires and it has good ole steel fenders that are in really good shape.

John in Joplin

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

B

Interesting the tie down issue, and yes brakes are a must; I personally prefer surge brakes but I've towed with all types. As far as the trailer tracking wider; ever since driving commercial truck I turn wide even when I'm on my Harley, lol.

Thanks, all good tips.

My dolly has surge disk brakes. Yes not knowing your experience level I had to add that about not dragging the dolly over curbs or into things.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I used to haul my Prius on the KarKaddy II that I have. It worked fine, I now have a Jeep Liberty that I tow 4 down.

I would sell the dolly for $1200.00

It has surge brakes that work very well, new tires and it has good ole steel fenders that are in really good shape.

John in Joplin

Thanks any who but we are starting our trip off with towing our Harley on a Big Tex 12' flat trailer. I expect at the earliest we would switch to towing our Camry would be dec. 2016.

Archived