Electrical Outlets - 2015 Thor ACE 29.2

dlmcclintock

As I am new some what new to the RV community and have had our RV less than a year, I still have many questions about how to use them. I am learning everyday.

With that, we are preparing ourselves for our first long trip (we are heading to Quartzsite next week) and will be doing our first boondocking, we are getting our RV ready for the trip. Today I needed to use the electrical outlets and they were not getting power. I turned the generator on and the outlets had power. Turned the generator off, and no power to the outlets. Everything else worked. The lights, the radio, etc...

Am I doing something wrong or is the normal. Seems like the outlets should have power since everything else does. Not sure what to do if we get out to AZ and can't run our generator and need the outlets for power.

Anyway, let me know what I am doing wrong. I would really appreciate it.

As I'm sure you've learned the 120-volt outlets in your motorhome work on only three power sources: Hooked up to an electrical outlet as you would be in an RV park; running the generator; or, using an inverter wired so that it powers all, or at least some, of the AC outlets.

If you're going to do some boondocking, it would behoove you to have an inverter installed so that you do not have to run the generator to do simple stuff like recharging your computers, cell phones, etc. You will, of course, need to run the generator for stuff like the microwave. Also, since I'm assuming that you don't have another means of charging your batteries, such as solar, you'll need to run your generator once in awhile to do that job.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

As I'm sure you've learned the 120-volt outlets in your motorhome work on only three power sources: Hooked up to an electrical outlet as you would be in an RV park; running the generator; or, using an inverter wired so that it powers all, or at least some, of the AC outlets.

If you're going to do some boondocking, it would behoove you to have an inverter installed so that you do not have to run the generator to do simple stuff like recharging your computers, cell phones, etc. You will, of course, need to run the generator for stuff like the microwave. Also, since I'm assuming that you don't have another means of charging your batteries, such as solar, you'll need to run your generator once in awhile to do that job.

Linda, I did in fact learn about how these things work. The more I think about it the more I realized how little we even use the outlets. I think getting a little inverter for the things we need to keep charged and running our generator when we can will get us by until we figure out if were are going to do a lot of boondocking or not. If we do, then maybe we will have to look into solar. Thanks for your help.

Linda, I did in fact learn about how these things work. The more I think about it the more I realized how little we even use the outlets. I think getting a little inverter for the things we need to keep charged and running our generator when we can will get us by until we figure out if were are going to do a lot of boondocking or not. If we do, then maybe we will have to look into solar. Thanks for your help.

I did what you are suggesting and installed a Xantrex PROwatt 600 SW Inverter true sine wave inverter - about $160. It took care of two laptops, satellite receiver, and Winegard Traveler dish deployment with power left over. Some electronics requires true sine and some doesn't but everything works with true sine so I went with that.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Archived