LAN ports on router

Tcwndsr

We're trying to decide between the WiFiRanger Mini and Go2 and can't come up with any practical reason we would need 4 LAN ports vs 1 port on the Mini. All our devices on our home system are wireless, nothing connects directly to the router. Are we missing something? Thanks!

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

I have our JetPack tethered directly to the WFR Go via a LAN port, so there's little signal loss. Then I have another router plugged in to another LAN port which puts out a stronger signal than the WFR, while the WFR does a better job of finding a signal. All that to say that while you may not have a need for the ports now, you may find later a need.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

If you get a Mini and eventually find that you need more Ethernet ports, all you have to do is add an Ethernet switch (an inexpensive device) that would provide the needed additional connections.

FWIW, I suspect Raquel is using the USB port for her Jetpack rather than an Ethernet port.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The Mini actually supports USB tethering to a Jetpack or USB modem - so that shouldn't be a deciding factor between the two.

Unless you are planning a hardwired network in your coach, you probably don't need to Go2, and the Mini will suffice. Like Joel said, if you decide later you want to do a hardwired network, you can always connect a switch to it. We use a Gigabit switch with our Go2 to connect our devices together anyway - as we need the faster speeds for our media server and back-ups. Really really hoping one day WFR hardware includes faster LAN ports.

There are multiple reasons why a wired network might be desirable - namely in speed (wired GB is significantly faster than WiFi - important if you have things like a central server for media and/or back-ups) and avoiding 2.4 mHz congestion.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

One thing the OP should probably clarify is whether or not the Go2 or Mini they are thinking of buying will be being paired with an Elite or Sky2 or is the intent to use it by itself? I am reluctant to recommend buying either of these routers without an outdoor unit unless the customer realizes that it will provide only a modest improvement in capability compared to what they probably have today. There are reasons to want all the devices in your RV to be on a network and that, alone, may be enough to justify the purchase of a Go2 or a Mini but the improvement in wifi reception will be limited.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Of course, you're right, Joel. I'm using the USB port on nthe GO for our JetPack connection. (I got up off my behind to check. ;) )

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

I don't know much about these particular systems but if looking for wired connections for speed you are usually better off with a good quality Gigabit switch than using the internal switches (4 port hubs) that are built into many of these small devices.

If you watch NewEgg or Amazon you can find a very high quality Gigabit switch for a really good price and free shipping.

Something like this $20 one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P034D4891 or for about double the cost upgrade to a smart version but only if you are going to actually use the smart features.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I have a Mini Pack coming next week. In my MH I will run a cable from it's one outlet to a Ethernet 8 Switch.

From the switch I will run cables to a Smart TV, DirecTV Genie, Blue Ray DVD player and a laptop that sits in one place all the time.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Yes, Joel, we will be using this with an external antennae (leaning towards the Sky2) for better wifi reception as well as using the router for networking purposes.

Tom

That is a good solution and the one I recommend for "most" people.

I DO NOT recommend using a Mini alone.....without the rooftop unit. If that is what you are after then there are better solutions on the market. You are not using the capabilities of the WFR product line, so there is no real reason to use the mini router by itself.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived