Computer turns back on after shut down

lappir

I kept thinking it was me, but it's not. Haven't gotten as far as recording myself shutting down my computer in the evening but have started turning off the power source and finally wake up to a computer that isn't turned on.

Is there something I unintentionally did to have this happen or do I have a serious virus or malware? My Mcafee scans did pick up something last week but it was "Quarantined". But a bigger problem is my Foxfi is starting itself on my phone. I KNOW I shut it off last night when going to bed but find it on this morning and connected to my computer as soon as it came on. I don't think it's a Christmas miracle.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Do you have the BIOS set to turn it on when you apply power? That and a power glitch in the night can cause it to turn on unexpectedly.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Do you have the BIOS set to turn it on when you apply power? That and a power glitch in the night can cause it to turn on unexpectedly.

Not that I know of, Stanley.

Computer won't turn on until I hit the power button after turning on the power source last night. I have watched all the lights go out on the computer in the mornings. Go finish dressing and ready to head out for work and find the computer on again. It's a less than a year old Lenovo all in one, with windows 10.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

strange for sure. once you shut pc off should stay off until hit power on button.

as for macafee, i would dump that in a heart beat. one of the worst one's out there. if an update was done , settings usually have it reboot after d/l an install. i would put in avg its ranked #1. i install it on all my customers pc's. free version.

but on another note. new pc could possible have problems.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

The hybrid shutdown was a problem for me also until I disabled it. You can either hold the shift key down while shutting off, or disable it permanently by opening an administrator command prompt and typing "powercfg -h off".

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Thanks will try the command.

2007 Honda GL 1800

Well?

Didn't work, tried several times but always unrecognized. Put the power strip more accessible and am just turning it off at the end of my computer activities for the period.

rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I had something similar to that awhile back. There was some background application that wasn't going away. The screen would go black and then the startup process would begin again. It was too long ago to remember how I found it and eliminated the app.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Hey Rod,
We may have the same system or very close as I bought hers new but open box and it was a 2014 manufacture date on the back. I just bought my Significant Harassment her upgrade for her desktop. It's a Win 8.1 2014 New Lenovo B4030 i5 etc. All In One. I did start to set it up with updates and an immediate upgrade to Windows 10. It would not activate regardless with the Intuit Support techs on the phone for a few hours. We even bought 2016 which they guaranteed would work with 10. So since her old system was 7, then straight to 10 with Quicken already installed I figured that would do it. So I factory restored it to 8.1 and did all the 8.1 updates. Then the "turning itself back on after complete shutdown" started just as you describe. We had just gotten our new 4k big screen and I had my new tablet and was finishing up those so I left her with her working old system for now and unplugged the new system last week until I could get to it. I had a similar problem with the my main Del 2720 All In One when I first took it up to 8.1 from 8.0. I never figured it out but it went a way so I just chalked it up to a bad patch for my system that was rectified a month or two later. I still have family here and won't get freed up again until next week to take on a total focus project which her system with the Quicken issue and the turning on will take. Once I do, if I find the solution I will come back and post the solution I find. I'm all or nothing with my systems. I lose track of where I am if I do a little here and a little there. Setting up a new system usually takes a few days without complications, a week with challenges. Just remember it's all 1s and zeros and since it is so universal these kinds of irritants don't last past both MS tech and Lenovo tech support. I left the Intuit folks still scratching their heads. But when the paid upgrade to Quicken 2016 did not work they did refund the 50 bucks the next day as promised. I'll get 2014 working then upgrade to 10 and see what happens.

I doubt we are the only three ( Roger) that ever had this issue.

On edit: It is worth noting that it did not come back awake after shutdown in its original image of 8.1, nor did it do that when I upgraded it to 10 despite not activating Quicken. It began only after I restored it to 8.1 using a factory restore. I also knew about their vulnerability in their self diagnosing program and uninstalled the old version and installed the new one. That may be the culprit.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks RV, I am not exactly sure of all that you wrote and don't believe I had to do the upgrade on this machine. Maybe I did, but don't really remember. I know on the previous laptops I did and never really got a handle with them and they were returned. I have yet to call tech support with being busy and then the holidays. I will try in early January if the condition continues.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

One of us should figure it out. Here is the Lenovo, Dell, and Toshiba vulnerabilities to which I referred. Do read this to be sure your machines are not subject tot the issue.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3012061/security/vulnerabilities-found-in-lenovo-toshiba-dell-support-software.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived