Cricket Offering!

Pieere

:D It's in the wind that sometime in January Cricket will be offering 20GB for $60.00; was just upped in November to 10gb for $60.00 from 5gb for $50.00. They also have hotspot phones starting at @ $30.00. Just paid my Prepaid account yesterday and given the heads-up! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Didn't mean to get your undewear twisted in a bundle!!! :P:P

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Check their coverage map before jumping in. For where *we* travel, much of Cricket's coverage is either 3G or no coverage at all...places where we get 4G with Verizon. Too bad because their prices are good, just not their coverage.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I've been looking at Cricket as an alternative to AT&T. From what I've seen, Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses the same cell towers, so coverage should be identical.

Two differences between them look like: Cricket high speed data stream is apparently "throttled" at 8Mbps, while AT&T's is not; Cricket also does not allow use of the smartphone as a hotspot.

20gb for $60 would be tempting, but the apparent limitations are significant.

SWRick, on 24 Dec 2015 - 4:22 PM, said:

From what I've seen, Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses the same cell towers, so coverage should be identical.

But it's not! Go to Cricket's website and AT&T's website and compare their coverage maps side by side. In some areas, the coverage may be the same, but there are vast areas where AT&T has coverage that Cricket does not (look at Nevada as a prime example).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I did as LindaH suggested and compared Cricket and AT&T coverage maps side by side for Nevada. I found the maps difficult to read (due to the color scheme on the Cricket maps) but it looks to me like the coverage is mostly the same except that AT&T is listing "3rd Party 4G" on their map which might be making their coverage look bigger. Again, I'm not positive about my results so if anybody finds something different I'd be interested to hear it.

I also found out that Cricket caps their data speeds at 8 MB (which shouldn't be an issue for most people). I read on a number of websites that Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses the same towers for coverage.

I have never had AT&T or Cricket so take this info for what it's worth.

I have ATT via Straight Talk currently and have been very pleased with the coverage. I have had it for about 2-3 years now and have been all over the country with no complaints. I am interested in Cricket since I would be able to tether my phone as a hot spot. I just need them to support my phone first.

Currently I have a Straight Talk phone and Straight Talk hot spot, both ATT. Very happy with both. 10gs(maybe 20gs) of data plus only having to pay for the phone rather than the phone and hot spot is a great enticement.........................

Sounds like it might be a good deal, thanks for the post. I'm researching Cricket now and wondering what your "in the wind" source was.

The in the wind source was from my service representative; as I was thinking about changing phones to a hotspot one. I have an AT&T hotspot that is really expensive to use now; My old Samsung Galaxy Express does not have Hotspot capability.

pieere

Would you ask your source if the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be supported as a mobile hotspot soon. You seem to have an inside track. I am very surprised it is not supported, only the S6 for now.

Thanks

Just type in your browser the Cricket website with your Phone make and model!! I know the Website show four Phones with 4GLTE and a hotspot starting with an LG Rizio for $29.99 until the 7th of January. MotoE is $49.99. Samsung has the Prime for $99.99. All have a $15.00 Activation.

and as far as coverage I just went on their Website again and I will say this! It is quite impressive. To get good WIFI or hotspot coverages everywhere you need to purchase expensive equipment. I was just trying to pass on some information that some can use on a budget! Take it with caution and remember: BUYER BEWARE!

I would expect somewhat limited network access from an MVNO like Straight Talk but Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of ATT so I would be surprised if there are any limitations.

That does seem likely, although the Sprint owned Virgin prepaid service still does not have full access to the Sprint roaming network.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Pieere,

Sorry we upset you I guess about the coverage. Manypeople are not aware of the situation with coverage from an MVNO and its potential limittions. I don't think Dutch or I meant anything about our coverage comments. I, for one, am happy you published the info. Trying to keep up with all the "deals" being offered is very difficult and confusing. We are all looking to better our coverage and lessen our costs.

I did find out where to look to see if a phone is covered for tethering.Go under Plans, the Add-On Features, at the bottom is Mobile Hotspot with a list of currently supported phones

Pieere and everyone, please do keep posting. I found this discussion very useful. I read the info on the Cricket website (and many other websites) but with a topic as complex as this there's no substitute for first hand information from other people who are willing to generously share their knowledge.

Because the original post alerted us, Cricket is a definite possibility and thanks to the discussion that followed, we are going in with our eyes open. So all very helpful indeed :D .

Archived