GE Profile residentual refrigerator

Retiredin1993

This unit is approx. 5 years old. Lately the freezer temps have been going up and down. I had a tech come out an look t it. At that time it was cooling just fine. He said the problem was the condenser needed cleaning and his company would not allow him to pull it out of the box. Said he would return once I got the refer out. Well, it took me about 15 minutes to get it out and I cleaned the condenser my self. I then plugged the refer back in while it was out to see how things were working. Well, low and behold the darn thing would no cool at all. I could hear a clicking sound at the compressor like it was trying to start, but wouldn't. I called the tech back out and he said the oil in the compressor had gotten too hot and the refer was ruined. It would not be cost effective to replace the compressor. We went to Tampa and had another guy look at it. It had been plugged in for several hours and paid no attention to it. When the tech opened he door the refer was cold and the freezer was cold. We have the setting set -6 for the freezer and the refer part set at 36. Going by 2 thermostats the refer part was showing 40 and the freezer was showing 20. Our extended warranty will pick up the tab for replacing the compressor with 4 hours labor. Question, is there any thing else that could be wrong that would cause the refer from doing it's thing?

Another thing the first tech stated not to run the refer due to it could get hot enough to start a fire.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Many people install residentials with the idea that if it fails, just replace it, which beats the cost of a standard RV refer. Perhaps that should be done here.

The one time I had spoken with Samsung about the cost of replacing the main board on our fridge (a component which did, initially, have relatively high failure rates) it was very clear that replacement of the entire unit would economically be a much smarter move than repair.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The GE Profile was the fridge of my choice a few years ago. It was one where you could have wood panels to match the cabinets and also full ht doors not these units with the drawer at the bottom which I loath.

Anyway, they were energy hogs at that time.

Unfortunately the supplier wouldn't ship to my location so I went with a Kitchen Aid.

If you replace eventually, get one more energy efficient.

There are some VERY efficient residential refrigerators out there. But very few will take panel kits these days. There are still a couple left - but not like in the past where almost all of them had a panel kit option. panels are not "in vogue" these days. The biggest challenge on the smaller RV fridge replacements is finding a residential with the right dimensions. You may be forced to get a less efficient fridge because the others do not fit.....It takes some searching.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The one time I had spoken with Samsung about the cost of replacing the main board on our fridge (a component which did, initially, have relatively high failure rates) it was very clear that replacement of the entire unit would economically be a much smarter move than repair.

Not to mention the fact that you won't have to clean it.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Archived