cassette toilet or not

GlennWest

Glenn, check the resource guide. There are some very specific things that you need do to register as a MH in Texas. A toilet is not one of them.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I bought one that I carry in the truck, since that was one of the four things that I declared to meet the requirements -- it, and a $55 Sam's Club microwave, were cheap and easy "toilet and cooking facilities". Neither have ever been used, nor do we have any plans to use them.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I bought one that I carry in the truck, since that was one of the four things that I declared to meet the requirements -- it, and a $55 Sam's Club microwave, were cheap and easy "toilet and cooking facilities". Neither have ever been used, nor do we have any plans to use them.

Phil D, meet WHAT requirements??

States kitchen, sleeping facilities, etc. It's the etc that concerns me.

Where is that stated? It is not stated in the Resource Guides info for Texas. You are making this WAY to difficult.

If you had read the resource guide it will show you the Texas requirements and they are:

"Truck-tractor conversions that have fully self-contained accommodations for human

habitation will be classified as a motor home and registered as a passenger vehicle,

provided the vehicle will not be operated for commercial purposes. Such truck-tractors

conversions may only pull a recreational vehicle (boat, travel trailer, camper)".

I don't see the word "etc" anywhere in there. Nor are the words "kitchen", "sleeping facilities" or "toilet". It says "fully self contained accomodations for human habitation". Ok, a self contained bed and a self contained microwave are "accomodations for human habitation", are they not? Does your truck have a bunk in it? A place for a microwave or hot plate? A way to plug them in? Bingo. You have met the requirements. Nowhere (for now) does it say "toilet" or "etc".

The VTR-61 requires "a statement explaining what alterations were made to the vehicle". These people are clerks. They have no clue. And, BTW, only page 1 is required for what we are doing.

"Commercial hitch removed". and "RV hitch installed".

"Glad hands (commercial trail brake lines) capped" and "Electronic (RV style) trailer brake controller installed"

Maybe "load bearing bed installed" or if you installed a microwave "cooking facilities installed"

Shore power or an inverter? "110V power source installed"

Did you single it? Hmm, maybe "one drive axle removed"?

Although it wasn't an alteration, it isn't untrue to list things like "vehicle has sleeping facilities" or if the shore power plug is factory then say "vehicle has shore power connection"

All true and 100% accurate. Oh gee. It has been converted!!! Remember, these people are clerks. They know what the book says. If your paperwork sounds good, it must be right. They are just doing what it says in the book. And the book says your vehicle must be "converted", but nowhere does it say how or with what other than whatever you put in the list. The better your list of "alterations" the more you altered/converted it and the more they will be impressed with your hard work and "alterations".

They also require "photos of the exterior and interior". That means TWO. A single photo of the inside and a single photo of the outside. Again, they are CLERKS. They have no clue what they are looking at. Print both "photos" on a single 8.5x11 sheet of paper on your b&w laser printer.

And all of that is in the resource guide which Mark Bruss has gone to great lengths to gather and catergorize.

2014 smart Fortwo

The etc was on texas dmv link. I read it. But ok, I get it. Put fridge back in, get microwave, I am singling, hitch is going away. Do paperwork. On that link it was section 14 on declaring motorhome

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

In the "Title Manual" look for the section "Truck Tractors Converted To Passenger Vehicles". It used to be page 7-11 (7 dash 11, not 7 through 11)

In the "Registration Manual" look for "Vehicles to be Registered with Passenger License Plates" (used to be page 9-2). Also check out "Trucks and truck-tractors" on page 9-10 which refers you back to 9-2.

My latest book is 2013 so the page numbers may or may not be the same but the section names probably haven't changed. Print those sections and take them with you to the tax office for "your" reference, cuz surely you will not need to explain it to the all knowing clerk.....or then again maybe you will want to just happen to have it handy for their reference also :)

EDIT: I found where you got the "etc" from, but that talks about a "manufacturers" certificate for that vehicle. The process for converting a truck tractor simple says "If the owner wishes to change to passenger plates, the registration classification is changed from “combination” to “motorhome.” It doesn't actually require any changes and says "but the owner is not required to correct his or her title unless the change is a major permanent reconstruction" and then requires a VTR-61 to explain any alterations. I am "assuming" that the implication here is that truckers "live" in these trucks already. And I would call adding a bed "major permanent recronstruction".

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived