Windows updates today!

RV_

Hey folks I know lots of you folks are conserving your data usage so here is a heads up to either set your Windows updates to alert you but do not download or install until you approve. I find Windows updates are available here in the Central US time zone just a few minutes after noon on major update releases. So to avoid being interrupted by a requested restart I manually update all my systems together and go through the same routine with each whether Windows 7/8.1/ or10, I have no Windows 8 computers anymore.

I have to update two tablets, one All in One desktop, One Win 10 upgraded from 7 tower desktop, and two laptops - one a15.6" Win 7 that is too old to upgrade to 10 but runs fast with the SSD and RAM upgrades, the other a 17" screen Toshiba that is already upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and then I remembered I had a Voyo micro desktop over in the LR to update too running a tablet mobo, 2 GB RAM and a quad core Z 3735 SoC and a 64GB SSD.

I don't wait and do them all manually so I can be sure they all are patched before the criminals had time to reverse engineer any of the patches.

Here is what it looks like in my new office that is still not fully setup. I have the two tablets, two laptops, and my desktop on my desk, and the wife's desktop is in her very own cubbyhole office built into the new house:

post-1765-0-49329100-1447191708_thumb.jpeg

Notes. I used the free Windows App Snap Collage Maker to make the collage from the full size pics first, Then I used Windows Image Resizer to resize the collage to its current small setting resulting in the pic above 84kb photo file collage.

Snap Collage is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/snap-collage/9wzdncrdf3m8 It is very simple.

Windows Image Resizer is here: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Windows updates SUCK!!! I have a reasonably old Gateway laptop. Started it up and got the "installing updates" message: 157 of them :(. 18 hours later it was still installing. Later passed by and saw the screen blank so started it up to see if maybe it was a Win 10 event. Wasn't. Got the configuring your computer message - about 5 hours.

And this is an OS we should use? Microsoft obviously cannot develop an OS, just an evolving BETA.

Wow,

I only got about 20 for Window and ten more for Office on each machine. Were you behind a few months or something? I have heard some folks had issues but with all the hardware out there, there are always some combos that glitch. My oldest, a Windows 7 dual core slow Celeron laptop I took in trade. It takes longer than the others but only about ten minutes more.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

How do you set W10 to only download when you want it too?

I can't find that option. I do have it set to not install the download until times not using the PC.

Yesterday I watched my daily allowed 425 MB start going down and down and can't stop it other then unplugging the modem when that happens.

It did stop around 283 MB.

Now keeping my Laptop off until my Free 2AM to 7AM Free data time.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Biker, its not a setting for the time you want, its a setting to prevent all auto downloads when you are connected via a "metered WiFi connection". Its in the WiFi Network settings > Advanced Options, you select ON for this is a metered connection option, for any specific WiFi name that has a data limit.

Knowing there was a recent win 10 update, I went in looking for it and found I had 6 updates waiting for me to connect to a "non-metered connection", so it seems to be working. I also found that the old windows update via Control Panel or IE Tools menu, doesn't work in 10. You have to go to Settings > Updates & Security to see the Win update status.

How do you set W10 to only download when you want it too?

I can't find that option. I do have it set to not install the download until times not using the PC.

Yesterday I watched my daily allowed 425 MB start going down and down and can't stop it other then unplugging the modem when that happens.

It did stop around 283 MB.

Now keeping my Laptop off until my Free 2AM to 7AM Free data time.

Jim

Thanks JIm, Same as I've done/found.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

My PC is connected to a Ethernet cable to a Hughes 7000s modem that allows me 425 MB of download a day.

So it is almost the same as metered.

When I go to settings--Network & Internet on the left side of page is

Data Usage

VPN

Dial Up

Ethernet

Proxy

No Wi-Fi Advance Options anyplace on that page.

Right side shown Data usage on Ethernet(12.03 GB) the last 30 days.

Clickable: Usage Details

Clickable Storage Settings

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Now that I did not know Jim, Thanks again! My main desktop is 18 inches away from my dual band router which will be replaced as soon as the holidays are over and I have the new Smart TV and tablet. But I have it connected by Wi-Fi as are all our computers, tablets, and devices (Amazon Fire TV, Roku3 etc.). So I never realized that. My wife's desktop and Venue tablet, as well as a Toshiba Windows 10 test bed 17" tablet are all Wi-Fi only. Thus it never came up. I do have the LR Channel Master OTA DVR running direct on a Power plug wall plug Wi-Fi Ethernet extender that works great. I only run cable now to outbuildings on different electric supply main circuit boards.

I have a work desk with a 5 port switch with a cable on it from the router for troubleshooting and repairs in my new office behind me. I shut down the Wi-Fi when doing that so I can safely work on suspected infected computers and other Internet devices, by simply moving the Ethernet cable for the switch from the router to the modem above it. My desktop backups are still on drive docks turned off except when used and my NAS/Personal cloud has been taken offline until I can be sure of security. It is another project on the back burner that needs a few days of testing. I never thought I'd get backed up so much retired! The nice part is I can procrastinate as much as I want, or cancel my project and sell the item or donate it to Goodwill down the road. But not for being stumped. I get everything working but sometimes find that was the only fun in it. Like a Dash cam I bought and fixed after it fell apart. Too much of a PITA to use.

Its replacement is an EA6500V2 (http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Dual-Band-Anywhere-EA6500/dp/B008I21EA2/ref=sr_1_2/177-3740332-9943823?ie=UTF8&qid=1447365412&sr=8-2&keywords=ea6500+router ) I have the predecessor which got lots of bad reviews but most were due to poor heat dissipation inherent in their design. I just ran a small outside whisper computer muffin fan off the USB port on it and it doesn't even get warm. But does get get more dusty! Never had it fail. Nor my friends and we all bought the refurbs. All were as good or better than me with Networks and all got fans on my recommend.

Have a great day guys I gotta run and go vote. I hate lines!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV, my Gateway is 10 years and has a dual core processor. I start it at least once a week and it has updates to install or configure almost every time I start it. After the 157 updates I had another 20 or so that configured this morning on startup. Those only took about 10 minutes.

My real issue is that any time it takes 4-5 times as long to update an OS as it does to do an new install it's a rotten piece of ..... And with Win 10 Microsoft is taking all user options away and forcing the (forced) adopters to Microsoft's inept OS developers rolling Win 10 BETA. The "elite of the elite" that Microsoft has recruited from the college campuses for over 30 years are simply not producing. I suspect it's a management issue as they definitely get the best of the best, several of whom once worked for me as students. I think I would win a bet that much of the swiss cheese OS is the result of Microsoft's attempts to monitor their users, for not always honorable reasons, and the inclusion of remote fix features. If Microsoft can access your PC any hotshot teenager can also.

XP is still the OS of choice for some big corporations, that have their own IT shops to keep it safe. They don't even trust Win 7.

I think that given the astonishingly low price of new PC's, Laptops, and Tablets a prudent user will have a device that is only used for "safe" sites like financial sites. Maybe a second for E-Net transactions, and others to throw away when they get hosed by hackers. If all your data (files, photos, music, video) were frequently copied to multiple cheap portable drives ransom ware would not be successful. A new device would cost less than the ransom fee. Don't forget to store one copy off site in case your house, or RV, burns.

Archived