What brands of propane alarm have you used?

Kirk W

Glenn brought up the issue of spurious alarms by propane detectors, which seems to be a pretty common problem. What I find really strange is that it seems you either get them, or you don't from one RV to the next. I'm thinking that it might be partly an issue of location of the device, but the other question in my mind is that of manufacturers. By far the most common one out there is the one called Safe-T-Alert and that comes from Marine Technologies/MTI. In searching I do find several other manufacturers who make home versions that plug into 120V-ac with a battery backup and I use one in our house from Kiddie that has had no problems at all. But in the 12V-dc side of the market I am having great difficulty in finding any others, except one from Atwood. My question is, has anyone used the Atwood or any other brand not from MTI and did it have the alarm issue?

41Rw2IoM9dL.jpg51AZTWNrwUL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Glenn brought up the issue of spurious alarms by propane detectors, which seems to be a pretty common problem. What I find really strange is that it seems you either get them, or you don't from one RV to the next. I'm thinking that it might be partly an issue of location of the device, but the other question in my mind is that of manufacturers. By far the most common one out there is the one called Safe-T-Alert and that comes from Marine Technologies/MTI. In searching I do find several other manufacturers who make home versions that plug into 120V-ac with a battery backup and I use one in our house from Kiddie that has had no problems at all. But in the 12V-dc side of the market I am having great difficulty in finding any others, except one from Atwood. My question is, has anyone used the Atwood or any other brand not from MTI and did it have the alarm issue?

41Rw2IoM9dL.jpg51AZTWNrwUL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Just replaced the propane alarm with the safe t alert due to the age issue. Have not had any problems with false or spurious alarms either in the past or with the new one. Did go with a dedicated propane alarm vs the combo propane/CO since I have added a CO alarm at the proper height in the bedroom. I do know that it would go off when I was spraying fabric protector on the recliners. I would certainly add another one if I was suspicious that one of them was false alarming.

Rich

Our motorhome came with the brand that Atwood bought out and it worked for many years. It did alert when we had a leak and also when our neighbor had a leak. We replaced it with the Atwood replacement since it fit the hole, while a Safe-T-Alert did not.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived