Grand Design 5th Wheel, Yay or Nay?

Kashburn

I am planning on entering into the world of Full time RV'ing with my wife and two kids. We have spent a considerable amount of time looking into bunkhouses and toy haulers. We really like the look and feel of the Grand Design models and are considering a toy hauler over a bunk house. Is there anyone who has a Grand Design Momentum and would share their experience with the product? Thanks

Welcome ti Escapees.

We do not have a Grand Design, but have seen plenty in the campgrounds. Mostly the owners are pleased with them, but none were using them for more than weekend trips. We did have one GD that the fellow was full timing in and he was getting less and less happy. It had been back to the dealer for the same repair multiple times, and the lsit was getting longer. He did comment that they were not full time trailers in his opinion. He had lots of trim issues, slides not staying adjusted, etc.

We did see a couple of older GD 5ers that the graphics were faded and peeling.

From experience, if you are looking for a true full time trailer, you need to look at

Mobile Suites, DRV

Lifestyle

and used ones out of business now are:

HitchHiker (Nuwa)

Excel

Carriage Cameo (not the newer ones)

There are several that claim to be full time and 4 season, but I question the claims. These are Redwood, Big Horn, LandMark, Cardinal, Cedar Creek, Montana and such. They add lots of glitz and heat pads under the tanks and a radiant heat barrier and call it an Arctic Pack.

Any way, that is my nickels worth.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I've been full-time since 01/01/2012 and in a Grand Designs Solitude 305RE since mid-March 2015. So far, I'm happy with my unit. There have been some minor issues, but Grand Designs customer service has been *very* responsive.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer!

Kathy

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you join us here and we will do all that we will do all we are able to help and assist you as you move forward.

I am pretty experienced in RVs but not fifth wheels so will just welcome you and not offer much advice about them. Feel free to ask advice or join conversations in any of the forums and do take a hard look at joining the Escapees RV club as well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are full-time in a Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel (but only since August). We have moved frequently and have had no significant issues with the unit. The Solitude line is probably more suitable for full-timing, but their weights are beyond the capability of our truck. Let me know if you have specific questions you would like to ask.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Archived